Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78636

• Trev
  • Trev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 204
Here is an interesting article that I have come across recently with the intention of the King in issuing South African War medals to civilians. Can any other forum members shed any light on this matter or was the award withdrawn due to overwhelming displeasure by the troops.

WAR MEDALS.
CITY CORPORATION AND
COMPANIES.
DECORATED BY THE KING.
London. July 9.

(The Express and Telegraph, Adelaide SA, Wednesday 10 July, 1901)

His Majesty the King has intimated his intention to confer South African war medals upon the members of the City Corporation and the city companies in recognition of their public spirit in raising the force of Imperial Volunteers for service in South Africa.

Considerable dissatisfaction is being expressed in English military circles by the announcement that the Lord Mayor of London has received from the War Office, with the approval of the King, and on the suggestion of the Commander-in-Chief, 56 South African war medals, with clasps, to be distributed to the Corporation of London and such of the livery guilds of the city as assisted in the equipment and enrolment of the City Imperial Volunteers for service in South Africa. The clasps indicate the engagements in which the C.I.V. took part. The soldiers contend that the distribution of medals in this manner discounts the honour which should attach ta the decoration as a mark of service on the field.
(The Register, Adelaide SA, Wednesday 16 Oct, 1901.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78641

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Everyone......

Quote "members of the City Corporation and the city companies in recognition of their public spirit in raising the force of Imperial Volunteers for service in South Africa."

I have not heard of any medals being issued to the above I may be wrong though.....
I have heard and seen the CIV Tribute medal which has been given to them. Some of the tribute were named.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78647

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Trev
According to Army Order 94 of April 1901, only those "who actually served in South Africa" were eligible for the medal. Which provision is a bit hard to get over for a civvy sitting safely at home. It could be that - as MIke says - the newspaper in question got confused between the Campaign medal and the Tribute medal for the CIV. It is also a dim possibility that an issue of unnamed medals ("samples") with appropriate clasps was made to the Corporation of London and the livery guilds for the reason mentioned in the Express and Telegraph of 10th July 1901. If so, the medals would not be for wear.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78648

• Trev
  • Trev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Mike and Ian,
I'm in agreeance with both of your reasonings of the confusion of campaign and tribute medals as shown in like articles and the similar time frame with the issuing of the City of London Imperial Volunteers (CIV) Medallion.

There was a specific number of 56 South African war medals which was mentioned, I wonder if this could be the number which eventually was issued as the silver medallion to members of the Corporation of London and relevant city companies.
Trev

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78663

• tcg367
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many of the War Correpondents were awarded QSA eg Edgar Wallace, reporting for Reuters

Were QSA's ever issued to non-serving Civilians? 2 years 6 months ago #78666

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

tcg367 wrote: Many of the War Correpondents were awarded QSA eg Edgar Wallace, reporting for Reuters

Yes but they were in South Africa and were in positions of danger.....

Take a look here:

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-for-gallantry#63528

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds