Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain William Edward Rickman 2 years 7 months ago #78580

• RobCT
  • RobCT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 181
I am looking for some help in deciphering a signature.

I recently purchased some Boer War documents which included an ink line drawing of Captain William Edward Rickman of the “The Kimberley Mounted Corps” by the celebrated Boer War Artist Robert Black Mill Paxton of “The Sphere” who travelled to South Africa aboard the Dunottar Castle during the second week of October 1899. Paxton is included in the well-known group photograph of war correspondents with includes Winston Churchill.

Another item relating to Captain Rickman is a letter written on the letter head of the well-known Mount Nelson hotel in Cape Town addressed to him dated 23 April 1901. The author concluded his short two-page letter as follows: “He behaved with great gallantry in the action at Hartebeestfontein on Feb 18 1901”

Unfortunately, I cannot put a name to the final signature who referenced himself as “Brig General (late) Commanding 2nd Cavalry Brigade, 1st Division”.

I immediately deduced that the author of the letter was Brig. General Robert George Broadwood but see no resemblance to this name in the signature. (The introductory remarks in the letter record that captain Rickman had served under his command for a period of nine months and had acted on his personal Staff for about six months)

RobM
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain William Edward Rickman 2 years 7 months ago #78581

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Might it be Lord Erroll?
Dr David Biggins

Captain William Edward Rickman 2 years 7 months ago #78582

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Charles Hay, 20th Earl of Erroll, he took command of a yeomanry brigade in March 1900 in the South Africa Field Force, with the rank of Brigadier General.

Creswicke has him as the 19th Earl but is incorrect as the 19th Earl, Charles' father, died 3 December 1891.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

Captain William Edward Rickman 2 years 7 months ago #78583

• RobCT
  • RobCT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 181
Brilliant.
Thanks David.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds