Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sidney A. Richards, Colonial Scouts 2 years 8 months ago #77358

• RobCT
  • RobCT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Looking for help.

I have a QSA medal (single clasp Relief of Ladysmith) named to Trooper S.A. Richards, Colonial Scouts The medal is confirmed on the relevant QSA medal roll for “F Squadron” and includes no reference to any other unit.

From the familysearch genealogical Web facility, I assume the recipient of the medal is "Sidney A. Richards” a 27 year old man who died in Durban on 11 June 1901 due to pneumonia and enteric fever. Notes listed on the unit rolls of the Colonial Scouts on this Forum seem to corroborate the fact that this “Sidney” is the recipient of my medal. The name S.A. Richards is noted on two entries – the first with the remark that he was discharged on 4 April 1900 (when the Colonial Scouts were disbanded) and the word “dead” while the second reference is as set out in the attached snippet which seems to include the following remark in red “pd (paid) …...?? Supreme Court P.M. Burg 28 August 1901”

As he was discharged in April 1900, is not listed for any subsequent unit and died more than a year later in June 1901, I find the meaning of this note dated August 1901 S.A. Richards, Unit roll snippet..png[/attachment] a little puzzling.

Was his death due to his continued military service somewhere? I am hoping that a Forum member can unravel this puzzle for me and shed more light on Sidney Richards. It would of course be helpful to learn who he was etc. Many thanks RobM[attachment=28170]
Was his death due to his continued military service somewhere?

I am hoping that a Forum member can unravel this puzzle for me and shed more light on Sidney Richards. It would of course be helpful to learn who he was etc.

Many thanks

RobM
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sidney A. Richards, Colonial Scouts 2 years 8 months ago #77359

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rob
Without a cross reference to another unit, you have set yourself a difficult task. As a rough check to see if any later service might have contributed to his demise, I had a look through my copy of the Palmer casualty roll and - while there are a couple of entries for "Richards", none are a fit for your man.
I am a little intrigued by the red inked "Pd" shown in your cut concerning the Supreme Court in J'berg 28/8/01 (plus ?squiggle). From my time in Court, I think the "Pd" indicates "petitioned"; whereby a Court is asked to rule on some legal aspect. As you are satisfied your man died in Durban, 11/6/01, apparently after his service, it is entirely possible that the Court was petitioned regarding probate as to his estate.
Good luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

Sidney A. Richards, Colonial Scouts 2 years 8 months ago #77363

• RobCT
  • RobCT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Thanks Linneyl.

I attach a snippet extract from the familysearch Web site which I have assumed refers to my Colonial Scouts medal recipient. Mistakes of course are made in official documents. For me the conundrum is of course why was any reference to his death etc included on the so called “unit rolls” of the Colonial Scouts. Did they follow his possible further service elsewhere or did his “Estate” make a claim on the military authorities? I would guess that he continued to have some sort of extended military link after his discharge in April 1900. Certainly, the wording of his death as being due to “enteric fever” adds to this thinking. If so, why is he not listed as a military casualty of the ABW.

One is aware that notes included on many medal rolls where a listed medal recipient is recorded as “dead” most usually refer to the fact that the recipient died subsequent to the relevant campaign and before the final issue and delivery of the campaign medal and that the recipient was not killed in action, died of wounds or disease.

Thanks again for your reply and comments.

RobM
Attachments:

Sidney A. Richards, Colonial Scouts 2 years 8 months ago #77364

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
If Pd is paid, it could be that what the army paid him was owed to his estate on that date.

Although why any of this would be on a medal roll is unclear.

Is there an estate file in the archives?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.975 seconds