Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MID to Kitchener's Horse - Chinnery 2 years 11 months ago #76377

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
I have acquired a QSA/KSA pair to M Chinnery - Lieutenant, K.H. on the QSA and Captain, Scottish H on the KSA - the attached extract from Kitchener's Despatch of January 17, 1902 refers to "For gallant leading of a force under heavy fire and capturing some prisoners"

Has anyone any idea of what action is referenced here and what date and where it took place?

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MID to Kitchener's Horse - Chinnery 2 years 11 months ago #76382

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Rory
Stirling gives a reasonable writeup of KH's activities in the latter part of 1901; perhaps their part in the action at Vaalbank on 4th November 1901 (where KH suffered some wounded) might tell you more? Both KH and Roberts' Horse were the column commanded by Col. Hickie around that period and were "constantly in contact with the enemy".
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

MID to Kitchener's Horse - Chinnery 2 years 11 months ago #76395

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Rory
Page 174 :- The Colonials in South Africa.
Kitchener's Horse and their old comrades the 2nd Battalion Regular Mounted Infantry, also the 2nd Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
The regiment, sadly reduced in numbers, operated in the second phase of the war chiefly in the Western Transvaal, and had a few casualties on various occasions. A reference in the despatch of 8th May 1901 to a very valuable bit of work by men of Roberts' Horse and Kitchener's Horse has already been quoted under the former corps. Both regiments were for a time in a column under Colonel Hickie (despatch of 8th July 1901), and continued to do good work in the Transvaal. On 8th and 9th July both Roberts' and Kitchener's Horse were sharply engaged and suffered casualties. They were, during the next few months, constantly in touch with the enemy, and often suffered losses, as on 4th November 1901, when Kitchener's Horse had 5 men wounded at Vaalbank.
The Mentions gained by the corps were as follows: —

Lord Roberts' Despatch: 31s< March 1900. — Major N. Legge, D.S.O. (20th Hussars); Capts. W. N. Congreve, V.C. (Rifle Brigade), H. J. MacAndrew 1 (5th Bengal Lancers); Capt. and Adj. G. H. M. Richey; Lieut. J. E. Jackson 1 ; Squadron Qrmr.-Sgt. D. P. Bree ; Tprs. T. Maldrett, T. Huckle, A. Miller, A. Lewis.
Final Despatches. — Major F. J. Warren; Capts. G. H. M. Richey,i W. Vaughan ; Lieuts. Clayton, J. E. Jackson, Skene; Squadron Qrmr.- Sgt. Bree 2 ; Sgts. Drannette, Brunette, Coopers, G. Dawes,2 W. White, W. 0'Shaughnessy,2 G. Hoitzel; Cpl. G. Hill 2; Tprs. 0. S, Purchase, Suckle.

Lord Kitchener's Despatches: /i March 1901. — Lieuts. L. A. Myburg and G. Dobree Cpl. G. Pitt ; Tprs. H. Anderson, C. Brown.
8th July 1901. — Pte. G. Davidson, promoted Cpl. ; as a scout he has shown exceptional skill and nerve. With Private Wilson, Victorian Rifles, and alone, voluntarily took most important messages through Boer lines.
8th December 1901. — Lieuts. M. Chinnery and J. Monro, gallant leading under heavy fire and capturing prisoners. Tprs. G. H. Brown and G. Swift, for gallantly sticking to retreating enemy, Barnard's Kop, 14th October 1901.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

MID to Kitchener's Horse - Chinnery 2 years 11 months ago #76396

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 181
Rory,

8 December 1901 was the date of Kitchener's despatch.

I am pleased to see that I was only the second and not the main underbidder! As I mentioned to you I was rather after another pair which I was pleased to get.

RobM

MID to Kitchener's Horse - Chinnery 2 years 11 months ago #76432

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Mr Chinnery has safely navigated the courier system to his new domicile. I append a few pictures of the medal and naming. I think it was Frank who once waxed lyrical about the beauty of the engraved naming style. Chinnery gives us that and the conventional impressed style to ponder on his two medals.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds