Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 3 years 10 months ago #69761

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
WALTON, C.J.
REG. NO.: NIL
REGT: SOUTH AFRICAN MOUNTED IRREGULAR FORCES
BARS: CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 3 years 2 weeks ago #75744

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507

Picture courtesy of the London Medal Company

QSA (1) Cape Colony; (CAPT: F.W. JONES. S.A.M.I.F.);
KSA (2) (CAPT: W.F. JONES. S.A.M.I.F.)

Frederic Whitworth Jones, who later hyphenated his surname to Whitworth-Jones, was born in 9th October 1867 in London, the illegitimate son of Henry Whitworth Jones and Maria Page, though his birth would later be legitimised when his parents married in 1868. His father (1817-1891) was a then well known operatic and concert bass-baritone, who performed under the name of Henry Whitworth, and sang in Italy and Brazil until his retirement as a professional singer in 1855, after which he continued as an amateur, often for charitable purposes. A member of the Garrick Club, he was acquainted with the author, Charles Dickens.

As of 1871 he was living in Brighton, Sussex. Jones was commissioned into the British Army Militia as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 4th Militia Battalion, King’s Shropshire Light Infantry on 28th January 1888. Having been promoted to Lieutenant, he then took a Regular Army Commission on being appointed a 2nd Lieutenant with the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry on 21st December 1889. As of 1891 he was a Lieutenant, his home address being given as Marylebone, London, and he was ultimately promoted to Captain before relinquishing his commission.

Jones volunteered for service during the Boer War in South Africa as a Lieutenant later Captain with the South African Mounted Irregular Forces, a wartime raised unit which encompassed soldiers from many different walks of life and from across the Empire. As such he saw service on operations between 1900 and 1902 in the Cape Colony. In 1905 his mother died, at which time Jones is shown as living in London at Brook House, Pulham Street. Having already been married one, he married secondly, Alice Armytage, daughter of Colonel Henry Armytage and The Honourable Fenella FitzHardinge Berkeley on 17th July 1907.

Jones died at The Hatch, Seend, Wiltshire, on 27th June 1935.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 3 years 2 weeks ago #75745

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The pair to Frederic Jones were sold at Baldwin's in November 2013 when they were accompanied by his miniatures.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 3 years 2 weeks ago #75746

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A slightly different style of engraved naming to the example posted by Mike.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 2 years 11 months ago #76299

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next DNW auction.

QSA (3) Cape Colony, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (34428 Tpr. L. Downess. S.A.M.I.F.)

Also served JMR.

CC clasp verified on WO100/276p12. Date clasps verified on WO100/276p43. Name Lacey Downes.

He appears to have died in Surrey, 26 May 1922
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the South African Mounted Irregular Forces (SAMIF) 2 years 7 months ago #78248

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There is an unusual SAMIF QSA in the next DNW auction.

QSA (1) South Africa 1901 (L. Cpl. C. J. Holt. I.I.C.D.)

His Imperial Irregular Corps Depot Staff, medal with clasp for South Africa 1901 is listed on the supplementary SAMIF roll WO100/267p59 but the entry is crossed though. The column to say he has a QSA roll entry is ticked but I have yet to locate this.

His rank on the supplementary roll is Corporal.

He was discharged at his own request on 6 August 1901.

His medal and clasp was issued 14 May 1909.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.767 seconds