Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 4 weeks ago #75126

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I don't doubt it, in fact I think you are spot on. He was born in 1873 in Penge, Surrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 4 weeks ago #75127

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 180
Hi Guys

My thanks to Rory, Mike and Adrian.

I don’t want to hijack Rory’s fine article – but thanks to all – I now have a medal to chase and a name to follow up.

Also, as I have quickly learnt from the Web, there is a great granddaughter named Suzy to contact. Lucky me. So thanks again.

I know that many collectors hesitate to contact family. Recently I had the occasion to contact the grandson of a recent World War II recipient acquisition. I also have his great grandfather’s DSO/OBE/QSA group. It turns out that his other great grandfather (who married the daughter of the DSO/OBE recipient) was one of those unfortunate rebels who was executed by the British during the ABW. Delving deeper the family story turns out to be one of a typical South African mixture which we locals know only too well and which gives us a far greater understanding of the real impact of the Boer War. As my grandfather argued in his fallout with CJR – it was so unnecessary and today we in South Africa are still paying the price. When, and if I get my contacts approval, I will prepare a suitable writeup and post on the forum.

RobM
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds