Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75118

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
Sometimes it is best to let the man himself do most of the talking....

Daniel Augustus Williams

Private, Kimberley Town Guard
Trooper, “D” Squadron, Kimberley Light Horse
Private, Scott’s Railway Guards – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Defence of Kimberley to Pte. D.A. WILLIAMS, KIMBERLEY TOWN GD: (also entitled to Relief of Mafeking, Orange Free State & Transvaal – earned with the Kimberley Light Horse)

Dan Williams was, as events will show, not only from a prosperous and well-heeled Welsh family, but also a successful man in his own right, although his life was cut short before its full potential could be realised.

Born in Aberystruth, Monmouthshire, Wales in about 1867, he was the son of a prosperous and highly regarded “coal man” – John P.D Williams and his wife, Naomi. Our first glimpse of Dan is courtesy of the 1871 Wales census where, at the age of 4, he was at home with his family in Coker’s Row in the village of Garmach. Mr. Williams was a Coal Contractor at this time, and was just beginning to make his way in business. Other siblings in the house were William James (9), Thomas Evans (6) and John Henry (1).

Ten years later, at the time of the 1881 Wales census, Dan was a strapping 13 year old Scholar. In keeping with his growing prosperity, Mr. Williams, now a Coal Mine Manager and Mining Engineer by profession, had moved his family to Poplar Villas in Aberystruth. At home when the census enumerator called round were William, now 19, Thomas, 16, John Henry, 11 and new additions in the forms of Joseph Miles (7), Samuel Arthur (4) and to Mrs. Williams’ unbridled joy, finally a girl, Mary Cecelia (6 months). The maid, Elizabeth Watkins, saw to the needs of the family.

The dawn of the 1891 census saw Dan a visitor in the house of Emil Helfricht in St. Pancras, London. Now a 23 year old Mining Engineer by profession (he had followed in his father’s footsteps), Dan was visiting his brother Tom who was a Boarder in Mr. Helfricht’s establishment, whilst employed as Secretary to a Colliery Company.

In November 1898, on account of his health, Dan Williams betook himself to the sunny climes of South Africa where, in keeping with his background and education, he joined the employ of the mining fraternity in Kimberley, Northern Cape. Life in Kimberley, right from the very start in the 1870’s, was one of hustle and bustle – as a result of the discovery of diamonds in the area there had been an unceasing influx of humankind to “try their luck” and “seek their fortune”. It was a rough and ready place with elements of sophisticated society in the form of the members of the Kimberley Club combined with, and sometimes mingling with, those from the wrong side of the tracks. Of prospectors there were many and, with them, came the flotsam and jetsam of life as well.

War clouds had been gathering between the Dutch-speaking Republic of the Transvaal and her less aggressive neighbour and ally, the Orange Free State, and the might of Great Britain, for some time. This broke out into a fully-fledged conflict on 11 October 1899 – the day the world woke up to the fact that the might of the British Empire was now at war with the two Boer Republics. With the war a reality, Kimberley was one of the jewels in the crown that the Boers set their sights on. An added attraction was the fact that Cecil John Rhodes, arch imperialist and sworn enemy of the Boers, was known to be holed-up in the Sanatorium in town.

The Boers lost no time in investing Kimberley - the Boer Forces under General Cronje commenced, officially, on 14th October 1899 to cut off communications – Kimberley was under siege! At its commencement there were in existence and stationed at Kimberley the following volunteers:—

• Diamond Fields Horse, strength 178
• Diamond Fields Artillery, strength 97 and 6 guns
• Kimberley Regiment, strength 352
• Kimberley Town Guard, strength 1303

It was to this last, the Kimberley Town Guard, that a 32 year old Williams gravitated. The only other regular troops in the garrison were the 23rd Company, 93 all ranks, Royal Garrison Artillery, with six 7-pounder RML guns; 1 section, 1 officer, and 50 men of the 7th Field Company Royal Engineers; 5 non-commissioned officers and men of the Army Service Corps; and 1 officer and 5 non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

By 26th November the strength of the Town Guard, which was to perform valuable service, had been increased to 130 officers and 2520 non-commissioned officers and men. There were, from almost the outset, two big mines in Kimberley - The De Beers Mine, discovered in May 1871, and the Kimberley Mine in July of the same year. The latter, initially known as New Rush (then Kimberley Mine, and now the Big Hole), would become the world’s richest mine for nearly a century and it was these mines that needed to be defended from any Boer incursion.

The Kimberley Town Guard, in all its various guises, were to form the mainstay of any defence undertaken should the Boers be so bold as to try a direct attack on Kimberley. As it so happened the Boers, in the main, contented themselves with a bombardment of Kimberley from afar – although the K.T.G. had to remain vigilant throughout and was subject to the same discomforts and privations the general populace had to endure.

Kimberley was finally relieved on 15 February 1900. But what was life like during the siege? The reader is privileged to be able to track Williams’ activities and exploits in Kimberley and for the remainder of his war thanks to the many letters he wrote home, many of which were published in the newspapers. Being from a prominent family, they were given many columns in print, to satisfy the thirst for information on the war from an enthralled Victorian public. The first intimation of Williams’ presence in Kimberley came via the Cardiff Times of 24 February 1900 wherein it was mentioned that:

“Dan Williams, son of Mr J.P.D. Williams, M.E., manager of Messrs. John Lancaster and Co. Blaina, is at Kimberley. He went out to South Africa before the war for the benefit of his health, and a week ago his parents received the brief but welcome wire from the then beleaguered town: “All’s well, - Dan.”

A follow-up letter was printed in the Abergavenny Chronicle on 23 March 1900, where, under the banner “Blaina Boy in the Town Guard” the article read:

An interesting letter in diary form has been received at Blaina by the relatives of Mr Dan A. Williams. A member of the Kimberley Town Guard, and a son of Mr J.P.D. Williams, M.E., manager of Messrs. John Lancaster and Company’s Blaina Collieries. Mr Williams, who was also employed under the company, left for South Africa in search of health on 4 November 1898, and on the opening of hostilities he at once volunteered in the Kimberley Town Guard.

The correspondence opens on October 14th, when communication with the north was destroyed, and the writer gives a detailed account of the routine at the headquarters of the Guard, then “fast getting into fighting trim.” He related the active preparations for the defence of the town, which was daily assuming a solitary appearance, and remarks that, “Rhodes is here and rides out daily. He says he is as safe as in Piccadilly – which is open to doubt. The town is daily receiving considerable numbers of refugees from Johannesburg and the Free State, and the tales of insults heaped upon them on the way are shocking. In some cases, they have been robbed and shamboked (whipped), but all this will go to make a big total which Tommy Atkins will remember to repay tenfold.

On Tuesday, 24th October, the Boers appeared amongst some brushwood on a kopje eight miles distant, and the armoured train went out to reconnoitre, and signalled for more troops, who were soon on the spot and commenced the engagement, the Volunteer Artillery doing grand work, and also the company of Regulars, who cleared the kopje. The Boer commando (sic) was shot, and a telegram was found on him ordering him to capture the cattle, some 2000 head, at Kenilworth. The Boers, over 600 strong, were completely beaten off, but it cannot be ascertained how many they lost. Our side had 4 killed and 18 wounded.

On November 10th the Boers had completely surrounded the town, but kept beyond the open ground and outside the range of the big guns. They shelled the town with a big gun on the 8th, firing over 30 shells, but the only damage done was a tin kettle “busted.” On November 19th, the fifth week of the siege, the Boers had shelled the town for the past ten days with little serious damage, but our mounted fellows have had several engagements and a few killed.

On the 30th November, a despatch rider came through from the relief force under Methuen, who had fought the Boers at Belmont, and we are looking forward to being relieved daily which will be a blessing, as the food stock is getting lower and lower. I have not tasted butter for weeks – only meat and mealie bread. Now the consumer is not allowed to purchase both bread and flour or meat, only one of the three; and buns, cakes or confectionary are not permitted to be made.

On the 20th December the food is getting scarcer – mealie pap for breakfast, vegetable soup for dinner and a stew for tea. The coffee is abominable. It is about six weeks since I tasted butter. I have eaten more jam during this siege than I would at home in ten years. Town life continues to jog along. This week saw the election of mayor and councillors, and concerts and sports are being held. On Christmas Eve I was on night duty, 9 to 11 p.m. and 3 to 5 a.m., and when napping in between I was dreaming of home and that I met Jack in the street – it was blissful. But I was rudely disturbed when in the seventh heaven of delight by the Sergeant tugging at my foot with “Williams, three o’ clock; turn out!”

Thus I hailed Christmas morning. Whether it was a dream or not, I cannot say; but all the day I was imagining what was in the cellar at home, and drawing comparisons which cannot be transferred to paper. However, I got permission from the Captain for the day off, and came into town and enjoyed myself quite royally – breakfast, mealie pap, tea (no sugar), bread, and steak (leather); dinner, soup, fowl (little bit), pork and tongue, half an ounce of peas, bread and tea (no sugar). I went to a friends to tea, and this time had sugar. Sports were held in the camp during the afternoon.

The military authorities have now taken over all stores in town, and everyone is rationed. We get for dinner (January 8th) some days only boiled stamp mealies, i.e. Indian corn, and two-thirds of our meat ration of horseflesh. On the 15th January we are still kept “snug” by the Boers, who are mounting guns on all sides, and evidently about to give the town a good bombarding. Horseflesh is on the daily menu now; I can finish the meal in safety, as the repugnance has disappeared and the soup is now A1. The jam and marmalade in town have all been bought up, and it is bread alone now. A loaf per man per day is served out, scarcely sufficient for the day, and I am in a continual state of hunger. The company are all showing signs in their anatomies of the effects of the siege.

Under January 27th he states that the De Beers workshop have turned out a 28lb gun, which reflects great credit on the mechanical staff, the only drawback being an explosive of sufficient strength to test it. With what is on hand, however the different laagers of the Boers have been considerably disturbed. But they have retaliated this week in fine fashion, bringing nine guns into action, and firing all over the town. Several women and children killed and wounded. It has been rumoured that a strong protest has been sent out to the enemy about shelling the hospital and the women and children, and we have had quiet today.

Typhoid is very prevalent in some camps, and also scurvy. My camp is the healthiest so far, but some show slight indications of scurvy and have been supplied with grapes to the annoyance of others. Horseflesh is now our daily meal; bread is to be reduced, and milk and cocoa are kept solely for invalids and children, and must only be supplied on presentation of a medical certificate. We have still (February 7th) ‘gee gees’ left for a few weeks. Matches are going up in value, and we light our pipes by day with magnifying glasses. The daily bombardment has resulted in great damage to property and loss of life, and the women and children are being put down the mines where they are fed by De Beers.” The writer then concludes with brief reference to the arrival of the flying column.

Having regained some of his lost strength, and being made of sterner stuff Williams, on 7 March 1900, enlisted with the Kimberley Light Horse. After the relief of Kimberley, the Kimberley Light Horse and Diamond Fields Horse troops were amalgamated under the title 'Kimberley Mounted Corps' and were, on 21st May 1900, 600 strong. The corps, under Lieutenant Colonel Peakman, operated with Lord Methuen in the Boshof district of the Orange Free State (just over the border from Kimberley). On 5th April Lord Methuen was successful in surrounding a detachment under the French Colonel Villebois de Marueil. The kopje on which the enemy had taken up a position was, after shell and rifle fire, assaulted with the bayonet. The enemy lost 7 killed, 11 wounded, and 51 unwounded prisoners.

The corps continued with Lord Methuen chiefly about Boshof during April 1900, and frequently had skirmishing. At the end of that month they moved west to join Colonel Mahon's column, which was to start from Barkly West on 4th May for the relief of Mafeking.

In Major Pollock's account of the relief, he said: "Finally, just to give one more instance of the fine spirit that animated this gallant little force, it should be mentioned that Lieutenant Watson of the Kimberley Mounted Corps, who was on sick leave at Cape Town, heard of the march to Mafeking, hurried back to the front, and having ridden absolutely alone all the way from Barkly West, joined the column on Sunday, just in time for the fight (near Kraaipan), having covered 220 miles in five days. With such officers and men a commander may safely face pretty long odds". In that fight Captain Maxwell of the KMC and 4 men were wounded.

On the 16th May was fought the stiff engagement outside Mafeking. The Boers attacked Mahon's flanks and rear. Speaking of the latter attack, Major Pollock said: "But the brigadier had complete confidence in Lieutenant Colonel Peakman, who had command of the rear-guard, and right well did this gallant officer fulfil the trust committed to him. A considerable number of mounted Boers galloping down by the village of Sani gained the bed of the Molopo river, and from there sought to assail the rear-guard, but so accurate was the fire of the party of Kimberley Mounted Corps that the enemy was not only checked, but was also unable to retire until after nightfall. Lieutenant Colonel Peakman was praised by Major Pollock for the cleverness with which he chose the ground, yet the trial, in spite of the excellent cover, was no light one, the Boer shells pitching all over Peakman’s position. Captain C P Fisher and several men of the corps were wounded.

Once more we turn to Williams first-hand account for his take on the actions described above. In the Cardiff Times of 19 May 1900, under the banner “Hoisting the White Flag”, we read:

“Mr J.P.D. Williams has received a letter from his son, Mr D.A. Williams, who served in the Kimberley Town Guard throughout the siege, and since the disbanding of that body has joined as a Trooper in the Kimberley Mounted Corps under Methuen. He says: - “My troop left Kimberley some weeks ago and arrived at Boshof, where we remained for 14 days doing patrol work and scouting. On my arrival there about 5 p.m., after 12 hours in the saddle, I was delighted to find the South Wales Borderers in garrison. I soon found the cook-house, and several old Nantyglo Militia-men brought me tea and steak, which were very acceptable. Lord Methuen’s brigade followed a few days later, and we were soon on active service again.

On April 5th we were ordered out, over 500 mounted and two batteries of artillery. We found the enemy on a kopje, and after an hour’s maneuvering surrounded him. The bullets whistled for a couple of hours. At last the white flag was hoisted by the Boers, and when our fellows approached they shot Lieutenant Williams and Captain Campbell, of the Yeomanry. But we all had the satisfaction of finding the Dutch commandant killed and also a French Colonel, and we “’bagged” about 70 renegades, mostly French and a few English.

The brigade left Boshof a few days after, and since our arrival here (Swartz Kopjesfontein) we have been out on a four days’ patrol. We had two engagements, but the enemy are too wary for us, and ‘scoot’ as soon as we get within range. My squadron (Williams was with D Squadron) have been all the time acting as scouts for Lord Methuen and General Douglas. It is not altogether pleasant to be in twos a mile ahead of everybody else, but we do not tire of the risk, the only grumbling being about the food, which is often only a biscuit and ‘bully beef’, and not too much of that.

We visit all the farms, but generally find the males from home. We have to purchase everything we want. Whilst the Boers smash and steal everything. I feel in splendid health and spirits, and can do up to 12 hours in the saddle on a biscuit, etc. without inconvenience. I have not seen a South African paper since March 10th, so I know ‘nix’ about the war elsewhere.”

Williams had time to pen another epistle to his father, continuing where he had earlier left off with his saga – this was published in the South Wales Daily News of 6 July 1900. Under the headline “THE KIMBERLEY LIGHT HORSE – DISSATISFIED COLONIALS the article read:

“Councillor J.P.D. Williams, General Manager of the Blaina Collieries, has received another letter from his son, Mr Dan A. Williams, who served as a trooper in the Kimberley Light Horse (disbanded on June 7th), after going through the siege of Kimberley as a Volunteer in the Town Guard, having been a resident in the “Diamond City” prior to the outbreak of hostilities.
The writer says: - “I dare say you have all been making a great fuss over the result of our brilliant and successful march to the relief of Mafeking, little imagining amidst your joy the one-hundredth part of the hardships endured to do so. After leaving Barkly we fared fairly well until we reached Vryburg, but from there to the end the pangs of hunger and loss of sleep were our portion, and when we reached Mafeking and during the stay there it was doubled.

To give you an idea of one day’s march – we made 34 miles, and at our stopping place found water conspicuous by its absence, having to proceed 19 miles further. A biscuit and mess-tin of coffee was the food for the day. Another day we came to the dry river bed of the Sani River, and had to sink several feet in the sand to collect some water for the horses and our “billies.” Breakfast was generally made about 3 a.m., as we used to saddle up at 4.30 a.m., travel in the early morn, and again after sunset for a few hours.

The days were hot, but the nights were bitterly cold, and we suffered considerably from veldt sores on our hands, arising from insufficient food and absence of vegetables. The morning of the 13th May saw us early in the saddle, and at mid-day we camped. I put a fowl in the “billie”, and there was splendid soup in prospect for myself and chum, but we had to saddle up and leave it. I snatched off a leg to chew on the gallop, and in an hour’s time we were engaging the enemy in the bush.

I was attached to the escort for the pom poms, and it was marvellous to see how they were brought into action amidst the bush and trees and the spans of oxen and mules of our convoy. The corporal at one of the guns made some jocular remark to my comrade riding alongside, and the next minute the poor fellow was shot through the kidneys, and died the next day. Bullets were flying like hail, but we had the satisfaction of making the enemy scoot as soon as the pom poms opened fire, although they were in great strength and concealed in the bushes.

On May 16th we engaged the enemy at noon, fought until dark, and entered Mafeking with our convoy at 6 a.m. on the 17th. At 8 a.m. I made coffee, having been over 26 hours in the saddle, and having subsisted from the evening of the 15th on two biscuits.

During our stay in Mafeking, we were served with a few ounces of Boer meal and a quarter of a pound of meat for our daily portion, and it was found necessary to rob the horses of mealies to cook for ourselves. The tradesmen charged extortionate prices for the tin stuffs remaining, and if many had had their way they would have fired the place. I was disgusted with its inhabitants, who were beneath contempt, and only that the place is the key to Rhodesia they might all have been in Pretoria for my part.

Baden-Powell has made a grand defence no doubt, but to allow the coolies and Jews to price their goods as they did is open to question. Our chief cry was, “What price Kekewich?” That’s my man in preference to B.P. We had a general parade and inspection by B.P., who impressed me as being a bit of a dandy, but with the appearance of a good fighter.

On May 17th we had another parade from 10 a.m. in honour of the Queen’s birthday, and fired salutes and jeu de joie, many of the men fainting on parade from hunger, which aroused many a bitter feeling and remark. On Sunday, 27th May, we commenced our southward march to Maribogo, where we remained a few days, and requested the Colonel to give us our discharges, being now at the head of the line. The Imperial officers insisted all they could that we should serve the six months, but the men were determined to finish with Imperial men, and the general at last decided to send us back to Kimberley, with the exception of the Cape Police and men volunteering from Pretoria.

Every inducement was held out to us. And it’s the same all through the Colony – great dissatisfaction amongst the rank and file with Imperial officers. We would have seen the war to an end if we had had colonial officers at the head. We rode another 15 miles after a chilling inspection by the Colonel, and then southwards under our Lieutenant for Kimberley. We entrained at Doornbult, and travelling in open trucks we got to Vryburg, and swarmed out like locusts to the coffee stalls. From Vryburg we travelled all night at a rattling speed, reaching Kimberley at daybreak, where we were served with refreshments at the station, and then marched on to the camp. We were then allowed leave, which we made good use of, and we were paid off on the 7th June. The Mayor formally welcomed us yesterday, and gives a reception and conversazione tonight (June 8th).”

John Sterling’s, The Colonials in South Africa, informed us that:

Mahon's column marched from Mafeking to Potchefstroom, and there most of the KMC left the column, which continued its march to Krugersdorp. (This tallies with Williams account about almost everyone wanting to take their discharge before their 6 months was up). A portion of the KMC operated for a time with Baden-Powell in the Mafeking-Zeerust district. In his brief despatch regarding the relief of Mafeking, dated 23rd May 1900, Colonel Mahon mentioned that on 5th May, the day after leaving Barkly West, he detached Captain Rickman with one squadron of the KMC to join Sir Archibald Hunter, who was then driving the enemy from the border near Warrenton, and whose force marched into the Transvaal and was joined by Mahon at Lichtenburg on 6th June.

Back in Kimberley and, as we have seen, thoroughly disheartened by the way he and his comrades had been treated, Williams opted to return to his civilian employment. With the siege over and the Boers gone, Kimberley had entered a rebuilding phase – the mines were open again and production was getting back to its pre-war levels. But the bug had well and truly bitten him, and on 12 February 1901 he turned his attention to Scott’s Railway Guards, attesting for service with them as a Trooper with no. 104, for a period of 3 months.

Scott’s Railway Guard, with an eventual strength of about 500, under Lieutenant Colonel R G Scott, VC, DSO, did work on the Orange River - Kimberley line not unlike what the Railway Pioneer Regiment did on the Central Railway. Although the Kimberley railway was not in the centre of the theatre of operations, still the west of the Orange River Colony, and that portion of Cape Colony bordering on it, was infested by roving bands bent on destruction; and Scott's Railway Guards often had skirmishes involving losses, and had much dangerous patrol work to undertake. Williams didn’t dally long – he served his initial three months and then took his discharge on 10 May 1901 – for him the war was over.

Making his way back to Wales for a brief visit home, Williams was feted to a celebratory dinner. The South Wales Gazette of 27 July 1900, carried the following article, under the heading “The Soldiers Welcome Home – Banquet at Blaina”:

A banquet to welcome home the reservists now at Blaina, was held at the Church Institute, Blaina, on Monday evening, when about 120 gentlemen sat down to a first-class spread. Privates Herridge. Lloyd and Atkins responded, and Mr Dan Williams, who had served with the Kimberley Town Guard during and after the siege (sic), gave some interesting details of the causes leading up the war, and also events which occurred during the siege of Kimberley and thence up to the relief of Mafeking, when his company was disbanded.”

Dan Williams returned to Kimberley, resuming his mining activities, but his health, never very good to begin with (and the reason why he came to South Africa), was deteriorating with each passing day. His death at the young age of 38 on 21 July 1905 came, therefore, as no surprise to many. The Merthyr Express of 29 July 1905 carried his final mention:

“The funeral of Mr Dan A. Williams, M.E. (son of the later Mr John P.D. Williams, M.E.), took place on Monday, the 24th instant, amidst every manifestation of sorrow and regret. The Rev. T. Towy Evans (Blaenau Gwent) officiated at the house, and was assisted at the graveside in Hermon burial ground, Nantyglo, by the Rev. Mr. Evans (Neyland). In deference to a generally expressed wish, the funeral was a public one, the cortege being largely attended, and included many representatives from the various departments of Messrs. John Lancaster and Co. Ltd (with which firm the late Mr Williams was formerly connected).

Mr Dan A. Williams was 38 years of age, and held the position of deputy mining engineer to his late father, under the firm aforementioned, but in 1898, unfortunately, ill-health compelled him to proceed to South Africa, where he decided to settle at Kimberley. He had scarcely reached his destination when war was declared, and he, in common with the rest of the inhabitants, was shut up during the memorable siege.

He immediately joined the defensive force, being enrolled in the Kimberley Town Guard until the long looked for relief arrived, when he transferred his services by joining a company of Light Horse, in which capacity he rode to and was present at the relief of Mafeking. After this Mr Williams came home in 1900, but returned in a few months time, since which he was engaged under the De Beers Mining Co. at Kimberley. He arrived here on June 24th, and but for his untimely and regretted death he would have again returned to an improved position.

Dan Augustus Williams had made it home just in time. He was awarded the Queens Medal with Defence of Kimberley clasp off the Kimberley Town Guard roll which was sent to his address, 15 Quin Street, Kimberley. Additional clasps to be worn with the medal were authorised but too late to be affixed to his medal – he had passed away before he received them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, jim51, RobCT, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75120

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Thank You Rory....... Greatly appreciated your fine work...... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75121

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 181
A nice pair and a good write-up Rory. The combination of the Defence of Kimberley and the Relief of Mafeking is a desirable mix. Thank you for posting.

Williams was a fairly common name in Kimberley and when I first saw your article, I hoped that it might shed some details on a trio of mine

I have the following:

Three – QSA four bars: RoM, DoK, OFS, Tvl (Capt. A.S. Williams S.A.C.);
KSA two bars (Capt. A.S. Williams S.A.C.); Kimberley Star.

Unfortunately, I know little of Captain Williams - not even his full name

He is, as Albert S. Williams, recorded as having served as an Officer in the Kimberley Light Horse. He later transferred to the South African Constabulary and is recorded as having acted as President of a Board of Officers and Chairman of several disciplinary trials of SAC members while serving with the S.A.C. Later while still serving with the S.A.C. he served as a Public Prosecutor in the Chief Magistrate’s Office in the Attorney General’s Department in the Witwatersrand from 1 November 1904.

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75123

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Guys,

Hope you don't mind me adding this for Rob.

Rob I think that this could be your chap.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, RobCT

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75124

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
If it is Adrian, you are a heart breaker! This chap was awarded a BSAC medal
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

Dan A. Williams in the Defence of Kimberley and Relief of Mafeking 3 years 1 month ago #75125

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Yip I know,

I will buy Rob a beer when we next have a meeting.

I am almost sure though that it is the same man as I could not find another A.S.Williams in the SAC enlistment Register and the form also confirms service as a Cpt in the Kim Light Horse.
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.147 seconds