Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #72592

• E Stewart-Lockhart
  • E Stewart-Lockhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello. I am new to the forum and was hoping someone might help me to find a needle in a haystack...
My great-great grandfather's brother was a Sgt E. I. Lockhart of Lumsden's Horse and I have recently discovered that his medal was sold at auction in December 2009 ( www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catal...d=158&lot_uid=178511 ).
However, it has subsequently been sold on and I am trying to track it down as I would like to purchase it if possible.
Any assistance (or ideas!) greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #72597

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Not really very much you can do, an advertisement in Medal News might prove it's worth in due course, as might another in Chris Dixon's gazette, as well as keeping an eye upon future salerooms auctions and dealers catalogues, the problem you have is simply medals like that are keenly sought by collectors and once bought they can easily disappear for a generation.

E Stewart-Lockhart wrote: Hello. I am new to the forum and was hoping someone might help me to find a needle in a haystack...
My great-great grandfather's brother was a Sgt E. I. Lockhart of Lumsden's Horse and I have recently discovered that his medal was sold at auction in December 2009 ( www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catal...d=158&lot_uid=178511 ).
However, it has subsequently been sold on and I am trying to track it down as I would like to purchase it if possible.
Any assistance (or ideas!) greatly appreciated.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, E Stewart-Lockhart

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #72607

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
E. Stewart-Lockhart
You may be aware of what follows. Or perhaps not. Here goes -
Your GGF's brother (Tpr. Eian Ingram Lockhart, an indigo planter from Behar) served with No.2 Section of B Coy. of LH and in December of 1900 obtained a position (sergeant) in the Johannesburg Police. He is mentioned in Pearce's "The History of Lumsden's Horse" in conjunction with repelling a Boer attack on a mine site during his latter service.
The abovementioned book can be accessed on this site by going to the Main Menu at left and selecting "Books".
In compiling his book on LH, Pearce included quite a number of portraits of members of the unit. Unfortunately, Tpr. E.I.Lockhart missed out! Probably because he was not available after his transfer. There is however, a group photo of those who did transfer to the JP and he may well feature in that.
Good luck with your quest for his medal.
Regards
IL.

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #72608

• E Stewart-Lockhart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks for the replies.
What made me disappear down this particular rabbit hole is that I found a Lumsden's Horse shoulder title in a box at home. Once I had been able to put a name to it I came across the book that you've kindly mentioned and managed to get a copy (with what I can only assume is Col. Lumsden's handwriting on the opening page). I also thought that the reason there was no portrait photograph might be down to the fact that those were done back in India when the Regimental history was being put together, and he missed out as he had stayed on in South Africa, although I do have another portrait photograph of him anyway.
Fingers crossed that the medal turns up as I would like to put it with other family ones. Tantalising to have missed it a decade ago..!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #72835

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
I know it is not about your Great Grandfather but I thought you might like to read the following.....

Mike

samilitaryhistory.org/jnl2/vol181sw.html
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

170 Sgt. E. I. Lockhart, Lumsden’s Horse 3 years 4 months ago #73286

• E Stewart-Lockhart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks Mike. A very interesting read.
I wonder if anyone has ever come across a copy of this book before?

antiquarianauctions.com/lots/with-lumsdens-horse-agin-the-boers

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds