TOPIC:

Medals to the 2nd (Royal Scots Greys) Dragoons 1 year 1 month ago #89021

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg (4225 Corpl: J. Glen. 2nd Dragoons);
KSA (2) (4225 Serjt: J. Glen. 2nd Drgns:)

Noonan's say 'very rare with a K.S.A. to a casualty'.

J. Glenn was taken prisoner at Uitval Nek, along with the rest of his squadron under Captain J. Maxwell, 11 July 1900, all being subsequently released. Glen was killed in action at Klippan, 18 February 1902, in a fight mentioned in Lord Kitchener’s final despatch of 8 March 1902:

‘On the 18th February General Gilbert Hamilton was sharply engaged at Klippan, twenty miles south-east of Springs, with a body of Boers which was estimated to number about 500. Upon this occasion, I regret to say, a portion of a squadron of the Scots Greys detached to one flank was cut off, surrounded, and partially captured. Our casualties were Major Fielden and Captain Ussher mortally wounded, Lieutenant Rhodes and 2 men killed, and 6 wounded. The Boers were reported to have 8 men killed and wounded.’

The above was sketched in the Illustrated London News, 5 April 1902, and titled “The Mishap To The 2nd Royal Dragoons At Klippan.’

Sold for a hammer price of GBP 1,800. Total GBP 2,318. R 49,630. AUD 4,060. NZD 4,380. CAD 3,710. USD 2,700. EUR 2,540.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 2nd (Royal Scots Greys) Dragoons 1 year 2 weeks ago #89512

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal (4292 Trpt. G. Walker, 2nd Dragoons) suspension a little slack, edge nicks

Garnet Charles Walker was born in Hounslow, London and enlisted in the Royal Scots Greys in June 1896, aged 14 years. Appointed a Bandsman in March 1898 and a Trumpeter in February 1900, he served in South Africa during the Boer War from 23 September 1900 and 3 April 1901. He was later appointed a Lance-Corporal but reverted to the rank of Bandsman and was discharged on 10 May 1908.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons 3 months 3 weeks ago #93464

• Bertiehelen
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Please please can you get in touch with me about these medals ! They were sold without my dads knowledge when his brother died by his sister. My dad was recovering from lung cancer at the time and was in no fit state after a massive operation to ask about them. His one regret was that he didn't get to see the medals or have chance to hang onto them. His dads medals were also sold at the same time. If we had known I would have got them for my dad. Currently sitting in a cafe having found this post with tears streaming down my face.... please if there is any chance these are still in your possession could you get in touch. My dad is John Wood, grandson of William Joseph Wood. His father William Charles Alfred Wood was also a Scots Grey. My Grandfather died when my dad was young and he thought the world of his dad. There is only me and my cousin left but my cousin would have had the opportunity to hang on to these and didn't .

Medals to the 2nd Dragoons 3 months 3 weeks ago #93468

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hello Bertiehelen,

Your story is sadly not an uncommon one.

The medal was sold by the auction house now called Noonan's. I do not know who purchased the lot. If you send them an email, they should be able to forward your message to the buyer in the hope that you can begin a conversation. You should be prepared for the buyer not wishing to communicate with you.

Their email address is: [email protected]

The item was lot 433 in the sale on 23 June 2021.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.543 seconds