Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 5 months ago #66851

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2141
I have acquired the QSA with Relief of Mafeking clasp to Lieutenant Charles De Vere Hunt of the Mosita Squadron D.M.T.

Hunt was one of only two members of this outfit to be awarded that clasp - the other being the OC, Captain Keeley, who was also the Field Cornet for the Mosita district, about 60 miles south west of Mafikeng.

My question is two-fold: Is there anywhere one could look for more information about the Mosita Squadron? Little to nothing seems to have been published about them and, secondly, would anyone know what role the OC and 2nd in Command (De Vere Hunt) would have played to earn the Relief of Mafeking clasp.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 5 months ago #66857

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Rory

In the London Gazette February 8 1901 page 906 , Colonel Mahon mentions Keeley and other farmers in the area as rendering assistance to the Relief Column ( perhaps as Guides/Scouts ?) Keeley must have stayed on until the Relief of Mafeking.

Regards
Attachments:

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 5 months ago #66858

• Rory
Many thanks ResearchRescue - it can be supposed that my chap, De Vere Hunt, was alongside Keely as the two of them were the only chaps to receive the RoM clasp.

This certainly provides context.

Regards

Rory

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 4 months ago #66920

• Rory
De Vere Hunt's medal has arrived. As you can see there has been an attempt made to rub off or erase some of the naming details.

I will have my detractors when making the following statement but, I am one of those collectors who is more interested in the man behind the medal than the medal itself. This means that I am quite comfortable with the medal in its current condition, if anything it gives it character.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 4 months ago #66921

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Rory...…

I agree with your comments on the man and not the medal.... I think though that the damage was or may have been not intentional.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

De Vere Hunt, Lieut, Mosita Squadron, Relief of Mafeking 4 years 4 months ago #66922

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Rory,

I would be very happy to own that medal.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds