Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 4 years 5 months ago #66827

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
I am helping someone with research to Thomas Henry Brockensha. The QSA with Talana is confirmed, but need to confirm the SAGS, 1879 named to Conductor, Transport Dept. and Natal 1906 named to T. H. Brokensha Intelligence Officer. He does not appear on either the paper medal roll or the one on this site. I append his entry from Who's Who.

Can anyone assist with confirming the SAGS and 1906?

Thanks
Jon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 4 years 5 months ago #66830

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Jon,

He is proving to be a challenge. He is not on my SAGS list (nor any near matches in the Commissariat & Transport Dept). I have been leafing through WO100/77 but have yet to come across his name.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: crypt

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 4 years 5 months ago #66860

• crypt
Morning David
I will be seeing these medals this weekend so will confirm the naming. He came to Natal in 1875, so he was a Colonial, but I suspect he was a contracted civilian transport conductor, not part of the British army. Will keep you posted

Jon

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 4 years 5 months ago #66866

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Hi John

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I recall this group being discussed. I wish I could remember where...

I seem to think there was something untoward about it but you will be able to judge for yourself when you see them.

Rory

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 4 years 5 months ago #66901

• crypt
After seeing this group, I was disappointed to see all had been re-named, I like to think by the recipient himself who thought he was entitled to them

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Help needed Talana clasp and other medals to Brokensha 8 months 3 weeks ago #91015

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Call it a whim, call it a flight of fancy but common sense left me late last week and I now find myself the new owner of this completely renamed but attractive trio to a well-known Dundee, Natal citizen and resident Thomas Henry Brokensha.

Why it was that the medals were "doctored", presumably by Brokensha himself, we will probably never know but I know I will have fun trying to find out. From the get go I can confirm that he was only entitled to a QSA (Talana), and that only after motivations were made - the others are spurious although he has provided justification for earning them.

More as I unravel the mystery of Mr Brokensha and his medals.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.853 seconds