Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain Edward Lucas - Natal Carbineers - DoD - 7 August 1900 4 years 6 months ago #65954

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2120
There were only three officer casualties to the Natal Carbineers in the Boer War - Lt. Wylde Brown, Captain E Lucas and Major C Taunton.

At the recent Kaplan Auction I was able to acquire the medal to Lucas - the one to Taunton sold on DNW (I think) a while ago and that to Wylde Brown is probably not extant. I know it's small consolation but I have the NC medal to Taunton's son who followed his father to the gates of Heaven not long after he had preceded him.

Lucas is an interesting study and I have made contact with a relative of his in Scotland who may be able to turn up a photo or two.

Regards

Rory

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Mark Abbott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Edward Lucas - Natal Carbineers - DoD - 7 August 1900 4 years 5 months ago #66184

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Fantastic naming on the medal, Rory.

Dooner does not have much on him: He died at Durban August 7th, 1900. He was the second son of Arthur Lucas of Darlington. He was educated at Clifton, and was 36 years of age. He lived in Richmond, Natal.
Dr David Biggins

Captain Edward Lucas - Natal Carbineers - DoD - 7 August 1900 4 years 5 months ago #66185

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
He is commemorated on the Clifton College Memorial.

www.roll-of-honour.com/Gloucestershire/C...nCollegeBoerWar.html
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.943 seconds