Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76321

• jan808
  • Thank you received: 13
Great that this particular transaction looks like having a happy ending, but on a broader note, it is a worrying trend that a (relatively modest) QSA is the subject for fakery. I saw this particular medal whilst the auction was still live, and didn't note any obvious red flags (...though I am very much a newbie to all of this). Was there anything that might have alerted others? [apart from the fact that the medal was already in Rory's collection!].

Cheers,
Johnathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76322

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 135
JL
An ebay link would be useful for those interested in seeing details of the fake.

Pete

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76328

• jan808
  • Thank you received: 13

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=284282069825&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76329

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 722
I would like to digress a bit from medals.
My interest is in arms, and I wanted to point out that the photo confirms the Natal Carbineers were carrying Martini Enfields [Martini single shot action in .303 cal] rather than bolt action Lee Enfields or Lee Metfords. Now, it's not possible to safely carry the Martini Enfield loaded, because there is no safety catch - when loaded, the rifle is cocked and ready to fire. Thus I am sceptical that Maj. Karri Davies would have said to his men before going into action: "Boys, load your guns".
I attach a couple of drawings of Carbineers which give a good impression of their kit.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76330

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 722
Another example of mis-heard Siege of Ladysmith lore is in Bella Craw's entertaining siege diary.
Regarding the attack on Surprise Hill 11 Dec 1899, she writes:
"They also bayonetted some of the men in small sangars alongside. One of the Officers leading one of the Companies did so with a broomstick. Being attacked by the Boers he hit a Boer over the head breaking the stick."
Broom stick makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure she heard "broom handle" which is the common term for the C96 Mauser Pistol. I attach a picture of a "broomhandle Mauser" used in the South African War - they were popular with officers on both sides.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:

A Carbineer wounded at Long Valley/End Hill - S.E. Waugh 2 years 10 months ago #76331

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 135
JL
I’m curious to know what are features of the medal you bought that make you believe it to be a “fake”

Thanks
Pete

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.697 seconds