• Page:

TOPIC:

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #60983

• Caldwell
  • Caldwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have in my possession a Queens S.A. Medal for framing that was awarded to my friend’s Grandfather. The young soldier was Leonard Charles RIX, born Romford Essex 10-12-1884, who enlisted underage in the 3rd Bn Essex Regiment for the Boer War, but he was a large boy who could easily pass as an adult. I need help please, because the award is not in the QSA medal rolls for any regiment or corps, nor is “L. Rix” listed as serving in that war in any nominal rolls online.

The inscription reads...”30 RIX Pte L. 3rd Bn. Essex” and the clasps are for Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights and Cape Colony.

The 3rd (Militia) Essex Bn did not reach South Africa until 17 April 1902; their men only being eligible for the KSA medal and ‘30’ suggests he was one of the first to volunteer in the 3rd Bn. I can’t find any evidence that the Essex Regiment fought at Ladysmith or Tugela Heights. Maybe he was posted to the 4th (Militia) Bn in Colchester in May 1900 before the 3rd went to Ireland and then went out as part of the 21st Mounted Infantry Coy under Capt. E. S. Penrose (in the rolls as 3rd Bn Essex, late 21st Mtd Inf.) but the 21st Mtd Inf didn’t serve at Ladysmith either.

Leonard Rix later reenlisted in the 2nd Essex in 1906 and served throughout WW1 as A/Sgt no-7496, which is beyond doubt, but any information about what unit Private L. Rix might have been transferred to and why he is missing in the medal rolls would be much appreciated.

This is my first post as a new member.
Cheers Graham Caldwell, Melbourne Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #60984

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Graham,
From the way you have described the naming on the medal, I would think it is, sadly, spurious, could you post a photograph of the naming please?
Regarding this particular battalion and medal entitlement, a KSA would not be possible, unless actually seconded to another unit, their QSA's being issued from the main roll and any clasps from their supplementary roll.
Regards Frank

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #60985

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
I am in agreement with Frank - even late named medals had the initial before the surname.

Regards

Rory

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #60998

• Caldwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
With thanks to Frank and Rory for a prompt response, I have to apologise for my typo when describing the order of medal engraving. It should have read... "30 Pte. L. Rix 3rd Bn ESSEX REGt." As requested see attached photos.

This brings me back to my original query about this medal and its recipient, Pte L. Rix, regarding my theory that he was an early enlistment in the 3rd Bn in Dec 1899, but never went to Ireland with the 3rd Essex, instead transferring to the 21st Mtd Inf Coy forming at Romford (where he lived) when the 4th Essex was embodied in May 1900, and if so, how did he obtain at least two of the clasps, bearing in mind no Essex unit, or the 21st, served at Ladysmith or Tugela Heights? Also interested on members views if it's been found to be common that soldiers awarded the QSAM, have been accidentally left off the roll? Cheers Graham.
Attachments:

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #61010

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Graham,
Thanks for adding the photographs, after looking at them, I'm afraid I would regard that medal as spurious, as such, I would not expect to see any entry in WO100/191, or anywhere else.
Regards Frank

Mystery Queens S.A. Medal 5 years 5 months ago #61011

• Caldwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for your opinion Frank. Whilst I accept what you say, I'd very much like to know what it is about the medal that makes you suspicious? It's up for framing with genuine WW1 trio of same soldier and my friend, Rix's grandson, will need to make a decision to proceed with the QSAM in the frame. I'm also very curious what you spotted to make you think this is a fake? I've now attached a picture of the medal's reverse. Cheers Graham.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds