Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Jiffy Bag Part One....... 5 years 6 months ago #60927

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Everyone...…

I just rec'd a nice Jiffy Bag in the mail today containing a great QSA to "E" Battery, Royal Canadian Field Artillery.....
This is just 1/2 of the good news that I have rec'd..... The second part is that I have been able to track down over 400 pages of Letters, Diaries, Newspaper Clippings and Miscellaneous papers..... Just have to wait for that "Comming Soon Jiffy Bag"...…

After his service in the RCFA he joined "Howard's Scouts" which became "Canadian Scouts". Here is a small taste thanks to the book Knowing No Fear by Jim Wallace with Capt. Michael Dorosz......

Mike

537 GUNNER SINGLETON WYNDHAM MUNCY, “E” BATTERY, ROYAL CANADIAN FIELD ARTILLERY

February 4th 1901

While on a patrol with Major Charles Joseph Ross, Sgt. Major John Alexander Paterson, Sgt's. Harry Hall Breden, John Thomas Randell, Singleton Wyndham Muncey, Asel B. Craddock, John E.Pemberton, James Creighton, Corporal John Davis and other Scouts came across a group of 15 to 20 Boers. At which time they gave chase and as they passed over a hill and found another group of Boers numbering over 100 at which time a running battle ensued. It seems that they had surprised the Boers as they were not ready for them and a large number of them fled. The patrol ended up in a hand to hand fight with revolvers at which time Sgt. Breden was wounded in the ankle. The Boers were forced to move and eventually ended up in an area where they could not be flanked but could not escape and a number surrendered.

This patrol was looking for the Colt Machine Gun that has been lost with the deaths of Sergeant Dayton Brown Hammond and Sergeant Duncan John McGregor on January 28th, 1901.

When the relief column arrived, the Scouts went back to see if any of their men downed in the initial charge had survived. Sergeant Major Paterson had been shot in the back and the bullet went right through his heart killing him instantly he was buried about half a mile from where he fell. Randell found his friend Sergeant Muncey who had also been shot through the body, and initially thought he was dead. A Boer bullet had entered over his heart and came out his back over his left kidney. Randell gave him some water and rum and it revived him. Muncey was angry, not because he was shot, but because the Boers stripped him of his tunic, his whip-cord breeches, high laced leather boots and his silver spurs. Muncey recalled that when he was shot he was about 25 yards from the Boers but said “I have the satisfaction of saying I killed one before I received mine. There were two of them firing at me, I shot one and fired four or five shots at the other fellow. He had a large ant hill for cover whereas I had nothing, just lying on the ground in plain view.”

Sergeant James Creighton, who was present, recalled the Muncey was seriously wounded. The bullet entered under the clavicle on the left side and, as he was leaning forward, it passed down behind the heart and cane out above the hip bone about 2 or 3 inches from the spine. Creighton's attention to anatomical detail in the heat of battle may be a reflection of his having been a medical student prior to enlistment. Muncey was evacuated to a hospital in Natal and then to England.

Muncey survived and despite of being wounded which ended up with limited use of one arm, but continued to serve in World War One with the Canadian Expeditionary Force and reached the rank of Lieutenant.

NOTE:
I now have the Sergeant Hammond, McGregor, Muncy and Corporal Davies medals in my collection and I know where the Pemberton and Breden medals are located.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jiffy Bag Part One....... 5 years 6 months ago #60935

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
A fantastic acquisition, Mike.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds