Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

75 QMSGT C.F.CROWDEN Rhodesia Regiment 5 years 7 months ago #60466

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
I have just received his QSA in the mail after a 4 week transit from the UK. It has the clasps reading from the bottom
Rhodesia
Relief of Mafeking
Transvaal
South Africa 1901
All the clasps check out on the roll including the O1 clasp except the roll for the SA01 clasp is labelled on Ancestry as the Rhodesia Coronation Contingent but I think this was an error as I cannot find him on the 1902 roll from the UK National Archives.
Now for a bit of a story (ala RORY-this is intended as a compliment as I get a huge amount of reading pleasure from his posts)
His grandfather was Charles Crowden and he was head of the Bluecoat school in Bath
His father Charles was baptised in Bath Abbey on September the 28th 1836-He attended Lincoln College Oxford around 1865 and graduated with a MA. He was headmaster of what is now Cranbrook College which was an old Tudor Grammar school which is celebrating its 500 year this year. Crowden House at the school is named after him. He left in 1888 after a disagreement with the Governors and moved to Eastourne College taking most of the teaching staff and a large number of pupils with him.
His son Charles Fletcher (my man) was born on the 29th of January 1869. He went to Trinity College Cambridge and appears in the Cambridge University Alumni 1261-1900. In the 1891 Census he is shown as a Stock Jobber working in the Stock Exchange.
My next sighting of him is as a passenger on the Moor sailing to South Africa in April 1896 -it is his listing on the passenger list that is most interesting. He is listed directly underneath Sir Graham Bowen KCMG -was he travelling with him as a member of his staff ?. Sir Graham Bowen was the secretary to whom Cecil Rhodes told about the Jamieson Raid. He believed in the fact he was told in confidence and did not tell his boss. The result he spent most of 1897 travelling back to England to appear before inquiries about the Jamieson Raid and took the blame for not informing the powers to be -He went on to be Governor of Mauritius so his career didn't suffer too much. My man next appears on the medal roll under the Mashonaland Squadron of the Rhodesia regiment.
He was discharged in London on the 22 of Feb 1901.
He married in 1905 and died in 1913.
If you have any more info I would appreciate any snippet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds