• Page:

TOPIC:

Medal clasps 5 years 8 months ago #60117

• Scottie
  • Scottie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My grandfather was awarded the following medals which I have, having found them for sale on the internet -
QUEEN’S SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902, 2 clasps, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (1185 Tpr., B.S.A.P.) late issue- however when I first saw these medals in my gran's house in 1972, I am sure there were clasps on the medals for battles and not just 1901 and 1902 - he served in Mashonoland in BSAP after being in Scottish Horse - can anyone help here on the likelihood that there should be battle clasps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medal clasps 5 years 8 months ago #60118

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Scottie
It would greatly help if you would post the name of your GF and whatever other hard details you have. As a matter of interest, QSA medals to the Scottish Horse usually bear the State Clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal) and one or two (or both) of the date clasps.
Regards
IL.

Medal clasps 5 years 8 months ago #60123

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
If this is J. Meldrum, the BSAP medal roll for QSA has the annotations that the QSA with 2 clasps SA01 & SA02 was despatched on 18.4.36, having been returned on 11.5.08, and that served in BSAP from 18.7.01 to 17.12.04
I don't see a J. Meldrum with the Scottish Horse in Kevin's Imperial Yeomanry rolls. A couple with Lovat's Scouts but they don't fit the dates required.

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scottie

Medal clasps 5 years 8 months ago #60125

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would think it would be unlikely that he is further entitled, you mention "medals" which other medals do you refer to and where does the information regarding the service in the Scottish Horse actually come from?
If you believe it to be correct, it might be worth a manual search through WO126/122-126 to see if a paper has survived.

Scottie wrote: My grandfather was awarded the following medals which I have, having found them for sale on the internet -
QUEEN’S SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902, 2 clasps, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (1185 Tpr., B.S.A.P.) late issue- however when I first saw these medals in my gran's house in 1972, I am sure there were clasps on the medals for battles and not just 1901 and 1902 - he served in Mashonoland in BSAP after being in Scottish Horse - can anyone help here on the likelihood that there should be battle clasps?

Medal clasps 5 years 5 months ago #61186

• Scottie
  • Scottie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Medal inscribed - 1185 Trooper J Meldrum - with 1901 and 1902 clasps - he was born in 1881 but used a different date of birth on some records - he returned to UK 1904 - I understand he was in BSAP Mashonaland at some point

Medal clasps 5 years 5 months ago #61202

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
From a previous thread...…

Just a little trivia......

The number of bars issued to the B.S.A.P. .....

397 Cape Colony
77 Orange Free State
625 Transvaal
1015 Rhodesia
94 Defence of Mafeking
372 Relief of Mafeking
521 South Africa 1901
397 South Africa 1902
536 Rhodesia as a single clasp
269 QSA with date clasps only

The rarest it seems is Orange Free State......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds