TOPIC:

Question from a new member 5 years 10 months ago #59311

• BEdwards
  • BEdwards's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

Forgive me if this is a bit garbled - I am new to this and it has taken me some weeks to find out how to write a note to the forum, let alone send a photo. Be that as it is may, and i have just had to verify that I am not a robot some 7 times. So, here we go. I have a small collection of QSA's and a friend has asked me to see if I could find some details about a relation's involvement in the Boer conflict. The name is Private (later Sergeant) W Faulkner. The photos of the QSA and KSA show:
QSA : Def of Ladysmith, Laing Nek, Belfast
KSA : SA 1901, 1902
Edge impressed:
QSA : 5660 Pte W Faulkner Gordon Highrs
KSA : 5660 Sgt W Faulkner 60th J(?)GN Highrs
The awards seem to be in a box as issued. 
The problem is that all my attempts at getting any further with Faulkner have drawn a blank. Anyone any suggestions? By the way, brilliant site - thankyou,

Bill Edwards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question from a new member 5 years 10 months ago #59312

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Bill Edwards
Welcome to the site.  Of late, this site has been plagued with "bogeys" and verification is necessary to maintain the site's integrity.  I had a quick look in the casualty rolls for Pte/Sgt. W.Faulkner of the Gordons - and no entry.  Have you checked with one of the commercial sites for any papers which might have survived?  You may have to fall back on researching the circumstances of how the Gordons qualified for the three clasps on the QSA.  For example, Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" relates the activities of 2nd GH during the Ladysmith siege and afterwards.
Good luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.  

Question from a new member 5 years 10 months ago #59330

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Bill - Faulkner's service papers are on Findmypast. Briefly, he enlisted in the 6th Dragoon Guards in 1895 but within 6 months transferred to the Gordon Highlanders. He was born in Rochdale. The medals and clasps are verified as per your post. He was discharged in 1907. You can download copies via Findmypast for a fee.

My only query is with the naming on the KSA. It sounds very odd. Can you post a photo?

Regards

David

Question from a new member 5 years 10 months ago #59332

• BEdwards
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi IL,
Thanks for your help. Also got a reply from David which may prove useful but I need to find out how to send photos and if past experience is anything to go by it is in this endeavor that I need some luck.
Thanks again
Bill (Edwards) 

Question from a new member 5 years 10 months ago #59334

• BEdwards
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David,
Thankyou for your help. I will be passing on your suggestion to Rosy and I am sure she can take it from there if she wishes to. I have had a look at the photos again and I think I was mistaken (I will try to download them but don't hold your breath). I think that the "60 JGN HIGHRS" is a misreading on my part for "GORDON HIGHRS" - better go to Specsavers. Still and all, 
On a completely unrelated topic there is a photo of some 31 members of Murray's Horse, lined up with tents and horses. I have the QSA of Trooper F E Dixon - Murray's Horse, single clasp Natal. More to the point there is at least a 1 in 5 chance that Trooper Dixon is staring right back at me. There's the fascination and I can live with that.
Thankyou again,
Bill
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.077 seconds