Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

An Interpreter & Dispatch Rider - R.L. Kirkcaldy 6 years 3 weeks ago #58079

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Robert Louis Kirkcaldy

Interpreter and Despatch Rider, Intelligence Department, 2nd Division, Natal Field Force – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Transvaal and Laings Nek to R.L. Kirkcaldy, Interpreter

Robert Kirkcaldy was a Scotsman through and through although he was born in England. His story started on 26 November 1865 when his father William, a Nurseryman living at 35 Neville Terrace in Islington, Middlesex, wed his mother, Agnes Mary Bush, a young lady residing at 9 North Audley Street, Westminster in the parish church of St. Marks.

As was the trend in those days the married couple lost no time in setting about the creation of a family and by the time the 1871 England census came round, there were quite a number of young mouths to be fed at Nursery House, West Wickham, Bromley in the county of Kent. Robert (a few months old – he was born on 31 August 1870) was joined in the house by older siblings William (4) and Emma (2)

At some point thereafter Mr Kirkcaldy senior must have decided to take his young and growing family to South Africa in order to make a fresh start. Settling near Lydenburg in the eastern part of the South African Republic (otherwise known as the Transvaal) he took to farming on the farm North Waterfall along the banks of the Sabie River. Perhaps plagued by ill health he passed away in his 45th year on 9 March 1885 at nearby Spitzkop leaving his wife to look after and raise seven children, all of them minors.

Robert and his siblings would have had to get on with the business of farming to fill the void left by their father’s demise and would have quickly learned the skills required to work the land. They would also have been exposed to both the local African indigenous people as well as Dutch farmers (or Boers) who were the predominant European population in the area. This being the case he would have become very proficient at both the local black language as well as the Dutch spoken by the Boers – assets which would stand him in good stead in the years to come.

Events in South Africa were coming to a head as the end of the 19th century approached. Long simmering tensions between the two Boer Republics of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal and Great Britain came to a head and boiled over leading to an ultimatum in early October 1899. This went unanswered by Britain and, on 11 October was declared. The Kirkcaldy’s, as has been mentioned lived and farmed in Lydenburg, a district in the South African Republic, and would now have been faced with an awkward situation – were they to remain neutral they would most likely be commandeered to join the Boer forces or face the risk of being treated as hostiles. Alternatively, were they to go over to the British side, their natural inclination, they would be enemies of the Transvaal state with all the implications that brought with it.

Ultimately Robert Kirkcaldy decided to join the British Forces and crossed the border into “friendly territory in the north of Natal. Initially things didn’t quite go the way of the Imperial forces with Dundee being evacuated after the battle of Talana and the Siege of Ladysmith that followed. Sir George White found himself on the back foot and ponderous Buller was taking an eternity to relieve Ladysmith as a precursor to driving the Boers out of Natal.

After Ladysmith was finally relieved on 28 February 1900 Buller and his army swept through the remainder of the Colony skirmishing as they went along. Eventually they fought an action close to the border with the Transvaal at Laings Nek and it was here that Kirkcaldy came to the fore with his particular set of skills – as an Interpreter with the Field Intelligence Department well-versed in both the African languages as well as Dutch – he would have been of immense value to Buller and his Command in relaying Boer movements, questioning Boer prisoners and interacting with the tribesmen in the vicinity who were always a valuable source of information.

For his efforts he was awarded the Queens Medal with clasps Laings Nek and Transvaal. He, fortuitously, kept the Receipt Note (appended below) from the Ordnance Office dated 19 December 1902 whcih confirmed his medal and clasps - his address whence the medal was posted was R.. Kirkcaldy (Interpreter) Glasgow Warehouse, Church Street West, Pretoria.

The war over Kirkcaldy, at some stage, moved to Pretoria where, on 25 August 1902, he entered into the marital estate with Elizabeth Webb, a 29 year old lady originally from Grahamstown but now resident in Clarence Street, Troyeville, Johannesburg. Kirkcaldy himself was 32 years of age and living in Hill Street, Pretoria. It was noted that he had been 20 years in the country which tells us that the family had moved here in 1882.

On 7 January 1913, he addressed himself in writing to the Horticultural section of the Agricultural Department housed at Walker’s Crossing in Sunnyside as follows:-

“Dear Sir

I shall be greatly obliged if you can kindly call or send someone to inspect my fruit trees. Either Wednesday afternoon or any evening after 6 p.m. suiting your own convenience. Address Reitz and (134) Hugh Streets. Last house back of Mr W.J. Loots late residence.”

To this polite request came the response that “I will try and look round your place at the first opportunity”

But not all was running smoothly however on the domestic front – an illiquid case was set down for hearing in the Supreme Court of South Africa, Transvaal Provincial Division on 10 January 1929 with Robert Louis Kirkcaldy the Plaintiff and his spouse, Elizabeth Kirkcaldy the Defendant. What was the case to be heard? The Restitution of Conjugal Rights: Divorce.

I won’t bore the reader with the lengthy legal arguments presented by both sides but there were a few matters of interest which speak to the character of the man himself and his conduct in the matter.

On or about the 23rd February 1928 the Defendant wrongfully, unlawfully and maliciously deserted the Plaintiff and still refuses to restore conjugal rights to the Plaintiff.

Since from or about January 1921 by reason of Plaintiff’s cruelty, ill treatment and neglect cohabitation as man and wife has been and still is dangerous, intolerable and unsupportable for Defendant.

Since the above date Plaintiff has refused to contribute sufficiently to the maintenance of the minor children of the marriage – the Plaintiff wrote to the Defendant stating that he refused to pay for necessary clothing purchased for the said children and that Defendant would have to pay herself.

On or about 21 April 1924 Plaintiff informed Defendant that relations between them had ceased and informed Defendant that she had to find a home for herself.

Since on or about June 1924 Plaintiff has frequently threatened to assault Defendant and to take her life and,

1. On a night in April 1927 Plaintiff assaulted Defendant by attempting to choke her
2. In April 1927 Plaintiff, on two occasions, secreted razors under his pillow in the room shared by Plaintiff and Defendant.
3. In April 1925 Plaintiff assaulted Defendant by pulling her about and striking her with his hands.
4. In June 1927 Plaintiff wrongfully refused to cohabit with Defendant locking her out of the room at that date shred by the two.
5. Since June 1927 Plaintiff has failed, neglected and refused to speak to Defendant or the said children and has communicated solely by means of short and insulting messages.

But it was the letters themselves, in his own hand that bore the most weight in the case. On 21 April 1924 he wrote to his estranged wife as follows:-

“Mrs Kirkcaldy

As you have chosen by the breaking of your oath made to your Creator, when taking my name in marriage, and violating your vows for the past two months, all relationships between the families has now ceased to exist.

It will be necessary to make such arrangements as will enable you to find a home suitable to your mentality. Your Ante Nuptial deed of contract you will obtain from Messrs. Trinity & Niemeyer from which you will remove articles enumerated therein given you at your wedding.

A schedule of the remainder will be arranged for disposal with the premises 159 Schubert Street at the New Year. The three younger children will then come under the law, that of the jurisdiction of their wicked father.”

On 17 November 1927 he wrote to his wife, on the letterhead of his company, Union Electrical Coy., as follows:-

“Please arrange that the outside room is fixed up today for my sleeping accommodation. It is impossible for me to obtain the necessary rest under conditions prevailing.”

On another occasion he wrote:-

“Mrs Kirkcaldy

My first home which took me fifteen years of life and self-denial to obtain, was thrown away by you. My second home, will be sold by me at the first possible moment it having been used by you from the outset as a Boarding Lodging House. The income of which has never been accounted for, but appropriated by you.

Your allowance henceforth will be in accordance with what my position and income warrants. At the moment two pounds ten shillings per week.
Lewis – I am informed pays for his Board and Lodging. This is sufficient to refute statements made by you and may obviate your relations having access to the home, to my detriment. Dating from your marriage to 21 June 1928.

Re: Mavis – I have to pay her hospital account therefore, her request was an impossibility further, she you clearly understand, I refuse my daughter to go to your mother.

Winnie – I do not accept the information given the way it was by my daughter Winnie. You and they have on more than one occasion been to the Coast. Since my marriage I have known no holiday or change. An allowance of 5 pounds per week will not be maintained by me.

You have had every consideration meted out by me. Not one of my children have raised a hand to assist or help me. Illness, through which I have passed, being one of entire neglect – even to food.

Their future – my eldest daughter’s mind was poisoned against her father by you ten years ago after what occurred in the local press on the 13th through your instrumentality. No man will submit to have his father’s name degraded in the manner in which your vindictiveness has seen fit to accomplish.”

As can be ascertained the relationship with his wife and family had become toxic although it was still not clear what the actual cause of the acrimony was. The sorry saga ended in divorce with the custody of the children going to his wife with a stipulation as to what maintenance he was required to pay.

It wasn’t long before Kirkcaldy, reeling from the effects of the divorce, was once more embroiled in a matter before the courts. On this occasion it was a business-related matter. Trading as Union Electrical he was the Applicant in a case against one Christiaan D. Van Zyl on 12 March 1931.

Van Zyl was a Building contractor who had purchased goods from Kirkcaldy’s firm to the tune of one hundred and eighty one Pounds. The case was eventually settled and the removed from the roll.

Robert Louis Kirkcaldy passed away at the Arcadia Nursing Home in Pretoria on 27 February 1934 at the age of 63. He was described as a divorced Merchant survived by Coronella Lydia Kirkcaldy, Winifred Mabel Kirkcaldy, Iris Gwendoline Kirkcaldy, Mavis Auriel Kirkcaldy, Reuben Louis Kirkcaldy and William Robert Kirkcaldy.

Had he reconciled with the children who were poisoned against him by his ex-wife? It would appear so – his bequests were to his sisters and five of his children – the only exception was William “who receives nothing, except what Reuben Louis Kirkcaldy may allow him.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An Interpreter & Dispatch Rider - R.L. Kirkcaldy 6 years 3 weeks ago #58080

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Just love to read your research and just admire the work......
Thanks Rory, Great Job.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

An Interpreter & Dispatch Rider - R.L. Kirkcaldy 5 years 7 months ago #60285

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
It's always nice to put a face to a name and, thanks to Kirkcaldy's grandson, I am able to do just that.

I have edited my post to include photos of the recipient as well as his wife.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.913 seconds