Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA naming styles - RN sailors and NCOs 6 years 1 month ago #57623

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Meurig
No; researching Lloyd's group is one of quite a number of projects for the future and I do hold quite a good precis of his service (ships, etc) as background. However, the Fevyer and Wilson roll does not show that he was issued with a replacement QSA - nor was it returned to the Mint. The naming on Lloyd's QSA is identical to that seen on many Army QSAs over the years. I don't think it is a replacement issue.
By contrast, Hutchinson is shown on the HMS MONARCH roll as being issued both the original and a duplicate.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA naming styles - RN sailors and NCOs 6 years 1 month ago #57627

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

LinneyI wrote: Meurig
No; researching Lloyd's group is one of quite a number of projects for the future and I do hold quite a good precis of his service (ships, etc) as background. However, the Fevyer and Wilson roll does not show that he was issued with a replacement QSA - nor was it returned to the Mint. The naming on Lloyd's QSA is identical to that seen on many Army QSAs over the years. I don't think it is a replacement issue.
By contrast, Hutchinson is shown on the HMS MONARCH roll as being issued both the original and a duplicate.
Regards
IL.

Thanks Ian.

Roll shows medal received at HMS Vivid 07-12-1904 - how does that date compare to the issue date for Hutchinson?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

QSA naming styles - RN sailors and NCOs 6 years 1 month ago #57628

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Meurig
Some time ago I asked Peter Singlehurst to research the Hutchinson group. The original QSA was "sent to Pembroke, 21 Mar., 1902". The "duplicate (apparently sent to) Woolwich, 26/2/13". The latter date is a bit blurred. Peter Singlehurst said in his summary of the Hutchinson group that "... in those days the RN was surprisingly easy going about ratings replacing "lost" medals - i.e., they had sold or pawned". "When he was recalled for the war, he appears to have got a new medal".
Regards
IL.

QSA naming styles - RN sailors and NCOs 6 years 1 month ago #57640

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Thank you for these pictures. They make very interesting viewing and I was fascinated to learn that signing up again could be a trigger for a reissue.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds