Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 4 months ago #56804

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Morning

Was lucky recently to acquire, albeit at a hefty price, this pair. After selling off my Town Guard sub collection many years ago I have recently been keen to acquire examples to the Dundee T.G. and Ladysmith T.G. There have been examples of both these units on recent auctions but I have been unsucessful.

Thanks to Pat Rundgren for the following additional information

BINNIE, Francis.

Born 1862.

Foreman Carpenter, Natal Government Railways.

Francis Binnie married Annie Duff (1862 – 11 June 1951) on 22 May 1891 in Durban. Their son, William Harold, was killed in action on 22 July 1918 aged 26, while a Lieutenant in the Royal Scots. He is buried in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Cemetery.

Binnie was a member of the Dundee Town Guard and present at Talana. He joined the townspeople on the evacuation to Ladysmith, and resumed his employment of Foreman of Works. He then signed on as 12 Lance Sergeant, Ladysmith Town Guard, for the duration of the siege. Once the siege was lifted he was then employed with the N.G.R. on railway reconstruction work. Leader, Railway Rifle Association

He was issued his QSA with a “Defence of Ladysmith” bar named to him as a “L. Serjt., Ladysmith Town Guard”. The “Ladysmith Siege” by G.W. Lines mentions Binnie as a member of the NGR Rifle Association.

See also the Courier of 09 June 1904. His medal for the Dundee Town Guard was a late (and duplicated) issue, conferred on him by Colonel Leader at the Masonic Hall.

1914 – 18. Field Cornet, Defence Rifle Association, Pietermaritzburg (08 December 1914). He retired as Inspector of Works in 1917. He died on 03 September 1927 and is buried in the Stellawood Cemetery, Durban.

Regards
Jon
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 4 months ago #56805

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
This was a ding dong battle worthy of the medals Jon!!

I watched it assiduously after I baled out of the bidding and it was very entertaining. Congratulations on being the winning bidder.

They are a wonderful pair of medals.

Regards

Rory

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 4 months ago #56806

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Thanks Rory, I was also sweating profusely, and having been outbid on many an occasion by Waltermedals, clearly a collector with deep pockets who has hoovered up most if not all colonial and SA medals that appear on BoB, sometimes at a huge cost way above their market value, I was determined to get them, and after Pat Rundgren dropped out I was able to enter the fray, but really it was getting out of hand, however when your wife supports your actions you know you have done right!!!

Cheers
Jon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 4 months ago #56807

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
What a cracking pair, these must be "the" QSA double issue to have.

Well done.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 4 months ago #56815

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Like Rory, I found the little battle on BoB very entertaining. It was soon obvious that a couple of punters were determined that they were going to get the medals , no matter the cost. The seller must have been delighted.
A double issue to a chap named to two different Town Guards and both with battle bars. The word "unique"wouldn't be misplaced.
Well done , Jon, you must be well pleased.
Regards
Mike

A pleasant Double Issue 6 years 3 months ago #56897

• George G
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry, but a rookie question. What is BoB? an auction site?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds