Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Unusual Unit Cattle Rangers 6 years 6 months ago #56244

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
In Nobles Auction no116 on the 21-24th of November 2017 is a very unusual pair of medals. A Queens South Africa to 340 Pte F.Shaw 3 Clasps CC, OFS, TVL Queensland M.R. and a KSA usual two bars named to 390 Ranger F.Shaw Cattle Rangers.
There are some notes with the medals apparently he enlisted in the Cattle Rangers on the 6th of July 1901,the day after he was discharged from the Queensland M.R and was later discharged from the Cattle Rangers on 16 Jan 1902.

In all my years of studying catalogues and dealers lists I have never seen another.

The profile under units on this forum is almost blank for the Cattle Rangers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual Unit Cattle Rangers 6 years 6 months ago #56245

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350
See here where Shaw is mentioned, also in connection with Nobles

angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=catt...ildforums=1&start=30

I had one once to a man who passed through the Cattle Rangers

Thomas Isitt served with the West Kent Volunteer Artillery prior to attesting for the Imperial Light Horse, in March 1900. He was discharged in March the following year, and enlisted for the Corps of Cattle Rangers at Johannesburg in July 1901. Isitt served with the latter until their disbandment in January 1902, and also as a Civilian attached to the Army Veterinary Department. Clasps are confirmed (Natal, Relief of Mafeking, Transvaal, South Africa 1901)
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Unusual Unit Cattle Rangers 6 years 6 months ago #56246

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
Reading through the link provided by David above it looks like it must be doing the rounds-many of the items have been sold several times before- I used to own the South Australian QSA,KSA,WW1 Trio to Swanson and the Australian Horse pair to Taylor-in fact I was responsible for the reunite which put them back together in about 1986. I notice Taylors QSA still has the Modder River clasp fitted- an example of the assembler of the medal mistaking a tick in the margin for a entitlement to a bar. If I remember correctly the Australian Horse were still in Australia about the time of Modder River.

Unusual Unit Cattle Rangers 6 years 6 months ago #56247

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
George
The First Australian Horse's first contingent sailed for SA on 14/11/1899 and the service squadron sailed on 17/1/1900. About three or so years ago, I contributed a post on Ranger G. Sayer of the Corps of Cattle Rangers (see link) and Ranger Shaw was mentioned in one of the associated posts.
Regards
IL.

Unusual Unit Cattle Rangers 6 years 6 months ago #56258

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
Five years ago I sold a QSA with single bar DoK named to Cattle Ranger E F Sheppy, ASC. With it was a copy of his Memoirs.
Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds