TOPIC:

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 7 months ago #85256

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Baldwin's

DCM VR (3955 Pte J. Smalley. Northd: Fus:);
Queen’s Sudan (Cpl. J. Smalley. 1/Northd Fus:) area of unit engraving is polished;
QSA (2) Belmont, Modder River, (3955 Pte J. Smalley, North’D: Fus:), impressed naming;
Khedive’s Sudan (1) Khartoum, (3955. Pte. J. Smalley. 5th Fusers)

DCM London Gazette 26th of January 1900. No 3955 Private Smarley (sic), Northumberland Fusiliers, No1 of a Maxim detachment, who showed great coolness and judgement when wounded.

John Smalley enlisted for the Northumberland Fusiliers on the 30th of October 1893, he stated he was 20 years and 6 months old a Farm Labourer and a native of Boston Lincolnshire. He served Home 30th of October 1893 to 14th of December 1895, Singapore 15th of February 1895 to 31st of December 1896, Gibraltar 1st of January 1897 to the 16th of January 1898, Egypt 17th of January 1898 to the 2nd of October 1898, (3rd of October 1898 to the 18th of April 1899 intelligible), Home 19th of April 1899 to the 15th of September 1899, South Africa 19th of April 1899 to the 23rd of December 1899, Home 24th of December 1899 to the 29th of October 1905, Reserve D 1st of November 1905 to the 31st of October 1909, 16 Years with Colours and Reserve. Appointed Lance Corporal 1st of July 1898, Awaiting Trial Drunkenness 27 December 1898, reduced to the ranks, 12th January 1899 Threatening language to his superior officer, 14 Days Absent ‑16th of March 1901 Forfeit 14 days’ pay. Restored Good Conduct Pay 2nd of April 1902 Received Gratuity of £20 for DCM.

His Service Papers confirm all medals and clasps, and that he was wounded on the 28th of November 1899 at Modder River.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 7 months ago #85262

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Baldwin's

Queen’s Sudan (4520 Pte. R.C. Foster. 1/ Northd Fus:);
QSA (4) Belmont, Modder River, Orange Free State, Transvaal, (5420 Pte R. Foster. North’D: Fus:) impressed naming;
KSA (2) (4520 [sic] Corpl: R.C. Foster North’D Fus:), impressed naming;
Khedive’s Sudan (1) Khartoum, (4520. Pte. R.C. Foster. 1st North’D Fus.), engraved in large upright capitals

Corporal Richard Cuthbert Foster was discharged from the Army on the 31st of December 1902, his Character “Latterly Good”.

Sold with Original Queen Victoria 1900 Christmas, Tin, original Discharge Certificate, Corporal stripes, Stretcher Bearers armband, marksman’s badge original ribband bar from uniform
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 4 months ago #87183

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Morton and Eden

Sudan (3340 Dr. J. White. 1/Northd: Fus:);
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal (3340 Pte J. White, North’d: Fus:);
[ KSA (2) ];
Khedive’s Sudan (1) Khartoum (3340 Pte J. White. 5th Fusers.), regimentally engraved

Drummer John White was born c.1877 at Chakaratta, northern India, and enlisted for service with the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers at Dover on 30 April 1892 – at the age of just 15. After a year and a half in Gibraltar, White served in the Sudan expedition of 1898, serving there for most of the year and taking part in the battle near Khartoum on 2 September 1898. He also served in South Africa during the Boer War, but was unfortunately taken prisoner of war during the failed attack and attempted storming of the Boer hill position at Kissieberg, near Stormberg (known as the Battle of Stormberg) on 12 December 1899, during which the British suffered 28 killed, 51 wounded, and 634 officers and men taken prisoner. Drummer White was released at Pretoria on 6 June 1900, and his entitlement is confirmed as above (although his KSA 2-clasp is absent). He was promoted to the rank of Corporal and then to Lance-Sergeant for a time in late 1903, but after several disciplinary issues in the latter years of his career (striking a soldier, drunkenness etc) which saw him revert to Private, he was discharged after 18 years of service on 17th March, 1911 at Pontefract, Yorkshire.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 3 months ago #87376

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 218
4207, Cpl Joseph Rispin

Hi Everyone,
I'm researching the following QSA and just want to check I have the correct information.

Queens South Africa Medal awarded to Cpl J. Rispin, 4207, of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Brief overview:
1. Attested 11th May 1894
2. Served in the Sudan Expedition of 1898
3. Promoted to Corporal on 16 June 1899
4. Mobilized to South Africa on 16 September 1899
5. Severely wounded in the Battle of Belmont on 23rd November 1899
6. Invalid to England on 19 April 1900
7. Discharged medically unfit as a result of his wounds at Belmont on 19 September 1900
8. Census records shows him going on to work as a "Ship Repairing Agent" in 1911
9. Passed away in 1949 at the age of 71

From the photos of the medal the clasps are incorrect; he should only be entitled to the "Belmont " clasp.

From his pension records it shows the following disability:

I understand the reference to Gun Shot Wound to the leg; would the "Amp' refer to amputee? If so it's great that he went on and lived such a full life.

Thanks.
Sturgy

Speak my name so that I may live again
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 3 months ago #87377

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hi Sturgy

Everything seems to check out except his clasp entitlement.
I agree a Belmont clasp only. I checked the rolls and couldn't verify the clasps on your QSA to 4207 J Rispin. The SAFF records his surname as J Riston. I did have a look for a Riston but no additional information found. Your research so far is top notch. Are the clasps loose or riveted correctly? His papers recorded Belmont and his Sudan entitlement with Khartoum clasp.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

Medals to the Northumberland Fusiliers 1 year 3 months ago #87382

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 218
Hi Dave F,

Thank you for reviewing my research; much appreciated.
Now I know why I could not locate him on the casualty roll.
Looking at the rivets now it does look like the clasps have been replaced at some; I guess we will never know why.

Thanks again.
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds