Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Railways 2 years 11 months ago #75898

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104

QSAMIKE wrote:

jim51 wrote: Those TG medals do my head in. The prices are ‘up’ at one auction and ‘down’ the next. I was successful with one last DNW and only one the auction before that. I don’t need to mention that can become an expensive purchase when the extras are added on.

I am leaning towards your philosophy Mike. After the last Spinks auction where I stayed up to bid on a lot I was wrecked that day. It was a work day and I was hanging out for knock off time. If Noble’s continue with their good catalogue items I will stick to them. City Coins postal auction works for me, usually. Their auctions are scarce these days unfortunately.
Jim
I agree Jim...... That is why I will not bid on a Spinks or DNW auction unless there is really really really want...... Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Railways 2 years 11 months ago #75926

• Deblev21
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi - I would appreciate some help or information, please...
I have just discovered that my grandfather's brother, ATN Gummow (listed as Gummon), who was a driver for the Natal Government Railways in Ladysmith, was awarded a medal.
I have been forwarded a newspaper article which describes the incident he was involved in, when the first Natal train was taken by the Boers in Harrismith on 11/12 October 1899.
Is there any way I can find out what other activities, if any, he would have been involved in during the war, or why he was awarded a medal? Would there be any way of finding out if his medal is owned by a collector?
Thank you for your assistance.

Medals to the Railways 2 years 11 months ago #76107

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742

Attachment not found

A. BOGLE. I. M. R.

QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA
CLASPS:NONE
CONDITION :GVF

I am happy to say that I was the unopposed winning bidder at DNW March sale, for the QSA to A. Bogle of the Imperial Military Railways.

I have run the usual checks on the medal rolls and have discovered two men with the identical naming neither of whom were entitled to any clasps, as follows :

1---A.BOGLE. A Turner by trade who was signed off on the Medal Roll at Pretoria in August 1902 by Major J. H. Twiss, R. E.

2---A.BOGLE. This man was a Blacksmith whose Medal Roll sign off was by L. S. Smart, Chief Locomotive Superintendent at Pretoria on 18th October 1907.
The Remarks column states: "not identical with Turner A. Bogle issued off AG/M/7379."

I have no real way of separating these two men to find the medal's true recipient without any accompanying paperwork other than the medal rolls.
However, could I date the issue of the medal according to the officially impressed naming to the rim?
A quick perusal of a sample of my collection to the Imperial Military Railways finds that medals signed off in August 1902 by Major J. H. Twiss are all impressed thus IMP. MIL. RLY. I would strongly suspect that Turner A. Bogle, signed off in August 1902 would be the same.
The medal I have is impressed I. M. R. contrary to the above. Therefore, am I safe to assume that this medal was of a later issue (over 5 years later) and belonging to Blacksmith A. Bogle?

I would very much appreciate any comment on my analysis and research, if only to dispel my theory!
Cheers
Steve

Medals to the Railways 2 years 11 months ago #76108

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742

MR. R. J. MACE. IMP. MIL. RLY.

QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA
CLASPS:CAPE COLONY
CONDITION :GVF. CLASP APPEARS TO HAVE HAD OTHER CLASPS ATTACHED, NOW ABSENT.
END OF SUSPENSION BAR SPLIT, PERHAPS TO FIT CLASP.

Another purchase from DNW in March, though more expensive than the QSA to A. Bogle!

Signed off on Medal Roll at Pretoria by Major J. H. Twiss R. E. In August 1902. No remarks.
Entitlement to clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal crossed through.
On closer inspection it would appear that clasp Cape Colony has been unofficially retrofitted. Not noted on DNW lot description.

Interestingly, another R. J. Mace was an Able Seaman aboard HMS Terrible during the conflict and was awarded the QSA with entitlement to the clasp Cape Colony!
Pure coincidence and impossible to be the same man as R. J. Mace A. B. served in China and beyond with the Royal Navy.!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Railways 2 years 9 months ago #76702

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
From next week's Kaplan auction

V359
QSA no bar: MR R.P. DARTELL Natal Gov Rlys
VF R1250

V360
QSA no bar: MR F. CHRISTOPHER Imp Mil RLY
VF R1200
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Railways 2 years 8 months ago #77528

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
From the next Noble Numismatics sale:

QSA (0) (F.E.McGeoch. C.G.R.)
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds