Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50820

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Brett,
Was William Clarke present on the end of that wretched ridge, at Caesars Camp on the 6th of January 1900, I thought he was?
Regards and seasons greetings,
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50821

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
Interesting man Brett - do you know of anyone with a copy of either Clarke's original history of the NMP or the updated version? Methinks there would be a wonderful story or two therein and, who knows, one of us may have medals to someone named in his account.

Regards

Rory

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50832

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank
Clarke may well have been with the NP picket below Caesar's Camp on 6/1/1900, but off-hand I do not have a record of his name. He was then a Sub-Inspector and one of four NP officer's besieged in Ladysmith. I will check later. On that day, the NP had three men wounded (Sgt Woon & Tps Pinto-Leite and Rivett), and all their horses killed.

Rory
I no longer have my copy of Clarke's 1894 history of the NMP. It is the only copy I came across during the years that the NMP/NP were my passion, so I think it is a rarity. It is indeed a very interesting book filled with first-hand information recorded by an astute observer.

Regards
Brett

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50848

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Well yet another anniversary of that most memorable day fast approaches, I was of the opinion he was there, but, I really cannot remember what caused me to believe he was. certainly, section D, of the perimeter, between Caesar's Camp and Devonshire Post was picqueted by the Natal Volunteers and Militia, including members of the Colonies Police.
I do believe during that wretched night in question, the enemy come up a gully actually between members of C Company Manchester's and a number of Natal Policemen and then attempted to pass themselves off as Ladysmith Town Guard after being challenged.
Regards Frank.

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50859

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank
The account of the Boer War given by Clarke in his 'Nongqai' article is disappointing brief, but Holt's history of the NP does include more details of the NP at Caesar's Camp on 6/1/1900, presumably taken from Clarke's diary. I could transcribe it, but, since there is a copy of Holt's book on this site, anyone interested can read it there.
Regards
Brett

Medals to the Natal Police 7 years 3 months ago #50860

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds