Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49598

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Day Everyone.......

I have read in this forum many times about reunites and have always said to myself that must be either a miracle or just plain luck.....

Until now.....

The second medal that I ever purchased was a Queen's South Africa Medal to 2356 Private R. Wainwright, The Cheshire Regiment with the bars Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.....

It was purchased in July of 1965 for the grand sum of $30.00 ($225.00 today counting for inflation) which was a lot of money then for a young collector.....

I did some research on Private Wainwright and found that he was also entitled to the King's South Africa Medal with the bars South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.....

The medal and the research has been sitting in my collection ever since that day.....

Then.....

On October 24th, 2016 there appeared on our favourite auction site, eBay, advertised as A King's South Africa Medal with the correct bars to 2356 Private R. Wainwright, The Cheshire Regiment.....

I checked my catalogue because the name seemed familiar and yes he was my man.....

I watched it for a couple of days and then placed a large bet, nearly twice the value as listed in the latest MYB, I guess you could say I wanted it LOL.....

Well now it has been paid for and being sent via Special Delivery and I will post pictures as soon as the jiffy bag arrives......

A Jiffy Bag Dance that has been 51 Years in the making is coming up......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49600

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Mike
Congratulations!!!!! A reunite like that is really great to read about. Must confess that I had given up hope on some of my reunite projects.
Best regards
IL.

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49606

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Congratulations, Mike! I have yet to make a reunite, but I can imagine how satisfying it must be.
Regards
Brett

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49617

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2150
Exceptional Mike - there are few things (medalically speaking) more satisfying than a re-unite.

I know you will treasure this pair and look forward to seeing a photo of them both.

Regards

Rory

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49649

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Good reunite Mike- I have an Afghan Medal clasp Peiwar Kotal to the 2/8 Regt. Later on he served in South Africa in the Cheshire Regt as 1025 Pte Getcliffe. I have been scouring lists for the last month or so and medals to the Cheshire Regt are scarce even though they only have State bars.

A Miracle or just Plain Luck..... 7 years 5 months ago #49652

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Georgegt351 wrote: Good reunite Mike- I have an Afghan Medal clasp Peiwar Kotal to the 2/8 Regt. Later on he served in South Africa in the Cheshire Regt as 1025 Pte Getcliffe. I have been scouring lists for the last month or so and medals to the Cheshire Regt are scarce even though they only have State bars.

Good Luck George......

I hope that you have the same miracle as I have had........

I checked my other Cheshire's and sorry I don't have him......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds