Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Alfred William Ducat - a recent acquisition 7 years 6 months ago #49131

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
I have acquired what I think must be at least an unusual if not a rare combination of medals to Alfred William Ducat.

The medals are an:

- 1877/78 SAGS to Trooper A.W. Ducass (sic) Cape Mounted Rifles - served No. 9 Troop
- 1879 SAGS to Lieutenant A. Ducat, Natal Native Contingent - served 2nd Battalion
- QSA to 13 Tpr. A.W. Ducat, Alexandria D.M.T.

Ducat was a Cadet later promoted to Ensign/Lieutenant and Captain in the 104th Foot (Bengal Light Infantry) who took his pension and moved to the Eastern Cape in South Africa where he fought in the Kafir Wars with the CMR and then with the NNC in the Zulu War.

Appointed a Lieutenant in Bakers Horse on 21st Feb 1879, he probably would have come up to join the unit with commandant Baker and the bulk of the unit post Hlobane/Khambula. He then joined 2 NNC on 17th June 1879 and would have served the last month or so of the War in this unit. The 2 NNC and Baker's Horse were in the same column at this time.

It always amazes me how so many Colonials were seemingly quite content to drop down to the rank of Private having served as Officers in previous wars/campaigns.

Research is underway :)

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alfred William Ducat - a recent acquisition 7 years 6 months ago #49134

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rory
Thank you for showing this group. You were fortunate to still have it when you left after your visit a few days ago.
Regards
Brett

Alfred William Ducat - a recent acquisition 7 years 6 months ago #49136

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Thanks Rory......

Interesting two SAGS to the same man......

There was a thread somewhere on duplicate issues to the same man and same unit somewhere each with something slightly different I will try to find it......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds