Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Ceylon Volunteer in the Boer War - A.C.T. Meyer 7 years 6 months ago #49104

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Adolph Carl Theobald Meyer

Private, Ceylon Voluntary Service Company, Gloucester Regiment.

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Orange Free State, South Africa 1902 and Transvaal to 7542 Pte. A.C. Meyer, Ceylon V. Coy. Glouc. R.

Adolph Meyer was born in Dikoya in the heart of the tea growing region of Ceylon on 17 October 1876 the son of Carl Theobald Meyer. Adolph was never to know his father as this worthy passed away in the year of his birth on 2 May 1877 at the rather young age of 42.

Most inhabitants of Ceylon of European extraction (Meyer was either of Dutch or German origin) were employed on the Tea Plantations or in the Civil Service. Meyer’s family were Planters and it was in his father’s footsteps that he followed. The humdrum of a colonial existence in the tropics was far removed from the hustle and bustle of life in Europe and a young Meyer must have experienced life very differently to his European compatriots.

This was all about to change when the call came for additional men from the Colonies to assist with the British war effort in South Africa. The Empire had been battling against two recalcitrant Boer Republics since October 1899 and, although the first phase of the war was over with the surrender of the two Boer capitals of Bloemfontein and Pretoria, the second or Guerrilla phase showed little sign of ending in the near future.

Meyer was 25 years and 5 months old and working at Waharaka Estate in Kegalle, Ceylon (a large 1000 acre rubber plantation) as a Planter when he completed the Short Service Application Form at Colombo on 19 April 1902. These Attestation papers were quite specific in that they stated service “For a term of one year of which no more than 9 months will be spent in South Africa. In the event of the war being over in less than 1 year you will have the option of being discharged at once or completing the 1 year service”

Confirming that he was a member of the Ceylon Planter’s Rifle Corps (Militia) he was 5 feet 9 ½ inches in height with a pale complexion (odd for one who spent his life outdoors in the heat) blue eyes and light brown hair. He had a scar over the inner side of his left thumb and was a member of the Church of England.

Having been passed as Fit for the army Meyer was assigned the rank of private and no. 7542. He was part of the Second Contingent, 98 men strong, who sailed on 22 April 1902 by the P. & O. “Syria,” for South Africa and who returned on the 15th July 1902. According to the “Times of Ceylon”, 8th May 1902, page 5 –

“The Second Ceylon Contingent; Safe Arrival at Durban and a Speedy Start for Bloemfontein; telegram from Captain Stewart – We learn from His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor that the Contingent arrived safely at Durban, on the 5th instant, and proceeded to join the Gloucestershire Regiment at Bloemfontein on the night of the 6th instant.”

The same publication on page 5 of the 21 April 1902 edition stated that,

“Below is a list of names (Meyer’s name is among them) of the 2nd Ceylon Contingent, numbering in all 98. It will be noticed that the list includes several well-known planters, besides the Indian men. Where possible we give the address of each man.”

Meyer’s war wasn’t a long one – brought in a month or two before the cessation of hostilities he managed to see some mopping up action during the final “drives” before the Peace of Vereeniging ended it all on 31 May 1902. Having taken his discharge on 25 June 1902 at Pretoria he was one of several men of his regiment that elected to stay behind in South Africa. The very same day he enrolled with the South African Constabulary for service and was assigned no. E3992 and the rank of 3rd Class Trooper. Stationed at Sydenham just south of Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State he set about his new duties.

The first communication of any kind making reference to Meyer came on 8 July 1902 when the Sydenham Camp O.C. wrote to the Staff Adjutant as follows,

“Reference attached. I have seen Trooper Meyer and he informs me that the 3 men of the Ceylon Contingent posted to 11 Troop are not his particular friends. Trooper White who is posted to Depot Troop, is one of the friends Trooper Meyer had in Ceylon and since coming to Depot Troop, he has found an old acquaintance of his people and consequently a warm friendship has been struck up between them.

Since O.C. 11 Troop has no objections presumably by his memo and I have no objection I think that with your sanction he could be transferred to Depot Troop. I can give O.C. 11 Troop a man in exchange viz. No. 3953 Trooper Buchanan who is a good man and used to be employed in my Orderly Room.” This transfer was effected without problems on 1 August 1902.

On 1 December 1903 he was promoted to Corporal.

Meyer next approached his superiors with a query regarding the medal and clasps he was entitled to. A memo from Bloemfontein on 31 December 1903 asked, “Please say how you are able to certify that this man is entitled to any clasp for War Service? As he did not join this corps until 24.6.02 – after the termination of hostilities.”

The reply came the same day – “I do not certify that Tpr. Meyer is entitled to any clasp – I certify that his statement with reference to his landing in Durban and joining Gloucester Regiment on May 8th is correct. As he came by rail to Bloemfontein I presume he is entitled to the clasp he applies for?”

The problem of the medal and clasps just wouldn’t go away and on 17 March 1904 Headquarters in Pretoria stepped in stating that “I have the honour to inform you that the medal has already been sent to him.”

On 1 November 1904 Meyer was transferred to the other side of the Orange Free State – to Ladybrand and it was here that he was treated for Rheumatism and Influenza at varying times. On 9 July 1905 he applied to be re-engaged for a further two years – a request which was acceded to.

On 6 December 1906 a Board was convened at Ladybrand for the purpose of enquiring into the circumstances as to how No. E 3992 A.C.T. Meyer sustained his injury. The 1st evidence led was by Meyer himself who stated that “Whilst proceeding in the Ambulance Cart to the Musketry Range for revolver practice on the 5th instant I got accidentally hit across the yes with the whip.”

The 2nd evidence came from No. 748 Constable W. Gull who stated, “When driving out to revolver practice in the Ambulance Cart on the 5th instant and in whipping up the mules the lash caught Cpl. Meyer across the eyes.”

Meyer didn’t seem to have been the worse for wear and the incident ended there. On 31 December 1906 he requested a further extension of service for 1 year and, by way of recommendation, his Officer Commanding wrote that “This N.C.O. has been thoroughly satisfactory during the two years he has served in my office.” Once again the request was acceded to but this time with the caveat that “he be re-engaged at reduced pay”.

On 18 September 1907 – after 5 years’ service – Meyer took his discharge from the S.A.C. returning to his native Ceylon where he took up employment at Lynford, a relatively small tea estate of about 255 acres in the settlement where he was born. Meyer made regular appearances in the Ceylon Directory after that but disappeared in the early 1920’s. An explanation for that can be found in the Australian Probate Records where it is stated that,

“Adolph Carl Theobald Meyer late of Cremorne, Planter, died intestate at Sydney on 2 November 1923. Estate sworn at £113.

It would seem that Meyer died as he had lived – alone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jim51, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Ceylon Volunteer in the Boer War - A.C.T. Meyer 7 years 6 months ago #49110

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Thank you for showing another Ceylon medal, Rory. I was pleased to see that your first offering attracted such interest.

A medal collector told me that, after he was transferred by his employer to the newly independent Sri Lanka, he visited a museum (or museums) to see what medals and other militaria was on display. He found nothing of that sort, and enquiries revealed that many (or all) such relics of the Raj had been consigned to the precious metals melting pots.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Rory

A Ceylon Volunteer in the Boer War - A.C.T. Meyer 7 years 6 months ago #49118

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1540
Brett and others interested
I had a bit of a trawl via a favourite search engine and found that the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Kent presented the Ceylon M.I. with Colours and presented medals to returned members of the Corps. This occurred between 12-15 April, 1901. Nearly a year later, a Memorial Service was held at St.Paul's Church, KANDI - and a South African campaign memorial window dedicated "to fallen Comrades". This was unveiled by Sir. W.Ridgeway and medals presented.
SAFF shows the following entries: "201 Sgt. A.T.Hopper, died of disease, Bloemfontein, 16 May, 1900"
"299 Pte. R.Hamilton, died of disease, Bloemfontein, 12 May, 1900"
"QMSgt Cheyne (no initial shown) died of disease, Kroonstad, 1st June, 1900"
"375 Tpr. C.Hammond, Sev. wounded. Diamond Hill, 11th June, 1900"
"Lt. A.H.Thomas, Killed, Bultfontein, 4th October, 1900"
"274 Cpl. J.W.B.Paul. wounded Nooitgedacht, 13th December 1900"
"379 Tpr. W.M.Kelly, Killed, Nooitgedacht, 13th December, 1900"
"293 L/Cpl. P. Sturdee,Severely wounded, Nooitgedacht, 13th December 1900"
347 Tpr. R.W.Braithwaite, Severely wounded, Nooitgedacht, 13th December, 1900".

Hopefully, the Memorial Window still exists.
Regards to all
IL.

A Ceylon Volunteer in the Boer War - A.C.T. Meyer 7 years 6 months ago #49119

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice indeed, Rory, had the medal been prepared by the mint like that, it is a most interesting example, I'm pleased and somewhat relieved to note those "cracks" you made reference to, in another post, seem to have been repaired!

Rory wrote: Adolph Carl Theobald Meyer

Private, Ceylon Voluntary Service Company, Gloucester Regiment.

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Orange Free State, South Africa 1902 and Transvaal to 7542 Pte. A.C. Meyer, Ceylon V. Coy. Glouc. R.

Adolph Meyer was born in Dikoya in the heart of the tea growing region of Ceylon on 17 October 1876 the son of Carl Theobald Meyer. Adolph was never to know his father as this worthy passed away in the year of his birth on 2 May 1877 at the rather young age of 42.

Most inhabitants of Ceylon of European extraction (Meyer was either of Dutch or German origin) were employed on the Tea Plantations or in the Civil Service. Meyer’s family were Planters and it was in his father’s footsteps that he followed. The humdrum of a colonial existence in the tropics was far removed from the hustle and bustle of life in Europe and a young Meyer must have experienced life very differently to his European compatriots.

This was all about to change when the call came for additional men from the Colonies to assist with the British war effort in South Africa. The Empire had been battling against two recalcitrant Boer Republics since October 1899 and, although the first phase of the war was over with the surrender of the two Boer capitals of Bloemfontein and Pretoria, the second or Guerrilla phase showed little sign of ending in the near future.

Meyer was 25 years and 5 months old and working at Waharaka Estate in Kegalle, Ceylon (a large 1000 acre rubber plantation) as a Planter when he completed the Short Service Application Form at Colombo on 19 April 1902. These Attestation papers were quite specific in that they stated service “For a term of one year of which no more than 9 months will be spent in South Africa. In the event of the war being over in less than 1 year you will have the option of being discharged at once or completing the 1 year service”

Confirming that he was a member of the Ceylon Planter’s Rifle Corps (Militia) he was 5 feet 9 ½ inches in height with a pale complexion (odd for one who spent his life outdoors in the heat) blue eyes and light brown hair. He had a scar over the inner side of his left thumb and was a member of the Church of England.

Having been passed as Fit for the army Meyer was assigned the rank of private and no. 7542. He was part of the Second Contingent, 98 men strong, who sailed on 22 April 1902 by the P. & O. “Syria,” for South Africa and who returned on the 15th July 1902. According to the “Times of Ceylon”, 8th May 1902, page 5 –

“The Second Ceylon Contingent; Safe Arrival at Durban and a Speedy Start for Bloemfontein; telegram from Captain Stewart – We learn from His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor that the Contingent arrived safely at Durban, on the 5th instant, and proceeded to join the Gloucestershire Regiment at Bloemfontein on the night of the 6th instant.”

The same publication on page 5 of the 21 April 1902 edition stated that,

“Below is a list of names (Meyer’s name is among them) of the 2nd Ceylon Contingent, numbering in all 98. It will be noticed that the list includes several well-known planters, besides the Indian men. Where possible we give the address of each man.”

Meyer’s war wasn’t a long one – brought in a month or two before the cessation of hostilities he managed to see some mopping up action during the final “drives” before the Peace of Vereeniging ended it all on 31 May 1902. Having taken his discharge on 25 June 1902 at Pretoria he was one of several men of his regiment that elected to stay behind in South Africa. The very same day he enrolled with the South African Constabulary for service and was assigned no. E3992 and the rank of 3rd Class Trooper. Stationed at Sydenham just south of Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State he set about his new duties.

The first communication of any kind making reference to Meyer came on 8 July 1902 when the Sydenham Camp O.C. wrote to the Staff Adjutant as follows,

“Reference attached. I have seen Trooper Meyer and he informs me that the 3 men of the Ceylon Contingent posted to 11 Troop are not his particular friends. Trooper White who is posted to Depot Troop, is one of the friends Trooper Meyer had in Ceylon and since coming to Depot Troop, he has found an old acquaintance of his people and consequently a warm friendship has been struck up between them.

Since O.C. 11 Troop has no objections presumably by his memo and I have no objection I think that with your sanction he could be transferred to Depot Troop. I can give O.C. 11 Troop a man in exchange viz. No. 3953 Trooper Buchanan who is a good man and used to be employed in my Orderly Room.” This transfer was effected without problems on 1 August 1902.

On 1 December 1903 he was promoted to Corporal.

Meyer next approached his superiors with a query regarding the medal and clasps he was entitled to. A memo from Bloemfontein on 31 December 1903 asked, “Please say how you are able to certify that this man is entitled to any clasp for War Service? As he did not join this corps until 24.6.02 – after the termination of hostilities.”

The reply came the same day – “I do not certify that Tpr. Meyer is entitled to any clasp – I certify that his statement with reference to his landing in Durban and joining Gloucester Regiment on May 8th is correct. As he came by rail to Bloemfontein I presume he is entitled to the clasp he applies for?”

The problem of the medal and clasps just wouldn’t go away and on 17 March 1904 Headquarters in Pretoria stepped in stating that “I have the honour to inform you that the medal has already been sent to him.”

On 1 November 1904 Meyer was transferred to the other side of the Orange Free State – to Ladybrand and it was here that he was treated for Rheumatism and Influenza at varying times. On 9 July 1905 he applied to be re-engaged for a further two years – a request which was acceded to.

On 6 December 1906 a Board was convened at Ladybrand for the purpose of enquiring into the circumstances as to how No. E 3992 A.C.T. Meyer sustained his injury. The 1st evidence led was by Meyer himself who stated that “Whilst proceeding in the Ambulance Cart to the Musketry Range for revolver practice on the 5th instant I got accidentally hit across the yes with the whip.”

The 2nd evidence came from No. 748 Constable W. Gull who stated, “When driving out to revolver practice in the Ambulance Cart on the 5th instant and in whipping up the mules the lash caught Cpl. Meyer across the eyes.”

Meyer didn’t seem to have been the worse for wear and the incident ended there. On 31 December 1906 he requested a further extension of service for 1 year and, by way of recommendation, his Officer Commanding wrote that “This N.C.O. has been thoroughly satisfactory during the two years he has served in my office.” Once again the request was acceded to but this time with the caveat that “he be re-engaged at reduced pay”.

On 18 September 1907 – after 5 years’ service – Meyer took his discharge from the S.A.C. returning to his native Ceylon where he took up employment at Lynford, a relatively small tea estate of about 255 acres in the settlement where he was born. Meyer made regular appearances in the Ceylon Directory after that but disappeared in the early 1920’s. An explanation for that can be found in the Australian Probate Records where it is stated that,

“Adolph Carl Theobald Meyer late of Cremorne, Planter, died intestate at Sydney on 2 November 1923. Estate sworn at £113.

It would seem that Meyer died as he had lived – alone.

A Ceylon Volunteer in the Boer War - A.C.T. Meyer 7 years 6 months ago #49121

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Rory......

My Sunday morning read LOL...... Great bit of research and article......

My man it seems only had less than two months service......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...shire-regiment#44756

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.898 seconds