Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ernest Dickson, Thorneycroft's M.I. - Spion Kop Casualty 7 years 9 months ago #47350

• Adrian123456
  • Adrian123456's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi Forum

My latest acquisition is a single QSA to 9480 Sergeant Ernest Dickson, wounded at Spion Kop. He was originally from Castletown, Isle of Man, travelled to Hobart, Tasmania and enlisted on 27 Oct 1899 with C Company, Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry. He was wounded at Spion Kop.

Subsequently he was employed with the Transport Department, Fort Napier, Natal with the A.S.C., from 8 July 1901.

QSA two clasps: Tugela Heights; Relief of Ladysmith

He was born in about 1874, and travelled to Hobart Tasmania in Sept 1893 aged 19 years, as a labourer.

He wrote two letters which were published as shown below:

The Launceston Examiner 25 January 1900 Letter written by Dickson.
BATTLE OF THE TUGELA. "A FEARFUL FIGHT."
"THE. BEST WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT."
BRIEF BUT GRAPHIC ACCOUNT OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH THORNEYOROFT'S MOUNTED INFANTRY.
Per Line of Communication. COLENSO CAMP, Dec. 21.
On Friday we had a fearful fight. That is the best way I can describe it. At 2 o'clock in the morning we moved down to the right flank of the big range of the Tugela heights on the far side of the Tugela River. We were composed of 4000 mounted. The artillery and infantry moved straight down to the centre of the position, which I will try and show you in a small sketch.
You will notice the hills at the back of the river (Tugela), and in the front are some low kopjes. At six o'clock the big guns started, and by seven the Maxims, rifles, field artillery, and big guns were going as hard as they could. T.M.I. was the very right wing. We dismounted, and began to advance along a water course. We had not gone far when we heard bang, bang, and they began on us from behind rocks and all sorts of places.
We gave them volley after volley, and gradually drove them back, and took up a position on the low ridge. We could go no further without artillery, and sent back for it, but it was not forthcoming, and the Boers got reinforced and began peppering us.
Word was brought that we had to retire; we began, and then' didn't they rattle them on. We had two dying men and nine wounded, and our task was slow and tedious. At last we got to the watercourse, and got the wounded to ambulances, and kept up a fire till they got them away. They came on crowding, and we had to retire, and had to cross a piece of open. They were waiting for this, and the bullets just whistled round, sending .up the earth everywhere. Two men fell on my left, and with five other men we bound up their wounds as best we could, and started carrying them to shelter, but after getting there one poor fellow died almost as soon as we laid him down. We got the worst of it, but the object was attained. We had drawn off the fire, and let another brigade take up a position which we can keep, and make a base of for attacking the position.
We have been quiet the last three days, but I am certain a big move is on, on one of the flanks. I will be glad when we get to Ladysmith. N (a brother of the writer) is shut up there with the Imperial Light Horse. They expect this war will go on till June. We have been at it two months, and in two actions.
The officer of my section was shot through the hip, and I don't think he will be back this campaign. Our losses were eight killed and 34 wounded, that is a great number to have out of one corps.
We have to go out on patrol tonight to prevent any move on their part. A nigger was shot at our outpost; he was coming from the Boer lines. I am sure some of the boys are carrying information.

The Launceston Examiner, 15 March 1900 Letter written by Dickson.
SERGEANT E. DICKSON.HOW HE WAS WOUNDED.STORY TOLD BY HIMSELF.THE THORNEYCROFTS CUT UP.
A few extracts from a private letter written by Sergeant E. Dickson, of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, and well known in Launceston, have been kindly handed to us. They give particulars regarding his own work at Spion Kop, how he was wounded and taken through numerous hospitals to Maritzburg.

After climbing that hill called Spion Kop all night we charged with the bayonet about 3 a.m., and the Boers flew, leaving one of their outposts dead -run through with a bayonet. We then began to build up stones and make trenches. There was a very heavy mist on, but a.t about six they began sending shells up and a stiff rifle fire.
We had about 2500 men up there, and no guns, as the mountain battery had gone astray in the mist. They advanced under their heavy artillery fire, and popped them over as they came running from rock to rock. They now brought another gun into position and let drive. Things were getting very hot, and they could not get our wounded away fast enough, so rapidly did they tumble down to it. This went on all the morning, and at 2 in the afternoon some reinforcements came up. At about 3pm I was shot through the knee, but was still able to help to carry in some of the wounded till my leg gave in. I tried to scramble away, and finally a stretcher party picked me up and carried me to the hospital wagon, a distance of about three miles.
The storm of shells was terrific, and out of 182 of Thorneycroft's M.I. who went up 113 were killed and wounded. It was a week before I got here, going from hospital to hospital, and we were glad when we arrived at Maritzburg, where they look after us splendidly. I am writing this in a fine bed, and an old dame of about 90 in the shade has just presented us all with bouquets. Everyone is awfully good, bringing smoking materials, fruit, etc.
I am half afraid my campaigning is finished, as the doctor says I cannot ride for four months, and had better take a trip home. The knee is very puffed, owing to water having set in; but they have very good doctors here, so I shall soon be as fit as ever, and may be able, they say, to hobble on crutches in another fortnight. There were about 750 went out of action that day, mostly wounded, some of whom were very bad. I saw a shell blow both legs off a man, and another blew a man to pieces. I went with another man to get in a poor fellow, and as we carried him my poor mate was shot through the head and fell dead, and the wounded man was hit twice. I dragged him behind some rocks, but he died, so I made the best of my way back to the others.

He is referred to in "Thorneycroft’s Unbuttoned" by Droogleever at pages 51,52,53,55,58,69,71,84 and 86.

Regards

Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Henk Loots, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ernest Dickson, Thorneycroft's M.I. - Spion Kop Casualty 5 years 10 months ago #59333

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2305
Adrian,
I found the following in 'The Isle of Man Times' dated January 20th 1900 -

"Dickson, Trooper N., son of Mrs Dickson, of the Green, Castletown, is serving with the Imperial Light Horse, and was present at the battle when Colonel Chisholme was killed. He is now shut up in Ladysmith.

Dickson, E., brother of the above trooper, is a Sergeant in Thorneycroft's Irregular Horse. He was offered a commission at the commencement of the war, but refused. Sergeant Dickson is with Buller's relieving column. He was also educated at King William's College, being a prominent member of the cricket and football teams in the early nineties." 
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Ernest Dickson, Thorneycroft's M.I. - Spion Kop Casualty 5 years 10 months ago #59355

• Adrian123456
  • Adrian123456's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi Berenice

Thanks for that, you are obviously very observant!

Regards
Adrian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds