Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Finlay McDonald Pow of the South African Constabulary 8 years 2 weeks ago #46151

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Finlay McDonald Pow

3rd Class Trooper, South African Constabulary – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & 1902 to 1804 3rd CL. TPR. F. MCD. POW. S.A.C.

Finlay McDonald Pow was a born Scotsman in the true sense of the word. Seeing the light of day for the first time in 1879 in Stirlingshire he was the son of John (a prosperous farmer) and Barbara Pow.

The 1881 Scotland census provides further insight into his antecedents – aside from a 2 year old Finlay and his parents others in the dwelling at 16 Middle Craigs were siblings Mary (12), Margaret (10), Barbara (5), Robert (7), John (6) and baby Catherine (10 months)

Ten years later at the time of the 1891 Scotland census the family had moved a few houses down – to 12 Middle Craigs – Finlay as could be expected, was now 12 with brothers and sisters Robert (18), John (16), Barbara (14), Katie (10) and new additions since the last census James (9) and William (7) completing the household.

Late 19th century Victorian England was in the throes of a war with two Boer Republics in faraway South Africa and the call had gone out to the young and not so young of the land to enlist with any number of Yeomanry outfits which came into being to assist the regular army in their quest to defeat the Boer. There was also a need for a Police Force which would operate side by side with the army as well as maintain a police presence in conquered territories.

It was to this last one that Pow responded in early 1901 after the war had been raging for 18 months and more. Completing the South African Constabulary Application forms at Stirling Castle on 11 February 1901 he confirmed that he was 22 years old and resident with his parents at “The Craigs”, Stirling. 5 feet 8 inches in height he weighed 130 pounds and had a fresh complexion, grey eyes and dark brown hair. By way of distinctive marks about his person he had an anchor tattoo on his left forearm and slight varicose veins down his right calf but “not enough to disqualifying extent”

A Compositor by trade he was an apprentice but not “bound” – he also confirmed that he was serving in the 13th Fife Voluntary Artillery and that he could ride, shoot and swim – all requirements for the job. In point of fact his position was almost in jeopardy having failed the riding test the first time – it was on his second attempt that he was successful.

Signing the Attestation Paper on 1 April 1901 for three years’ service shortly after his arrival in South Africa Pow was assigned no. 1804 and the entry rank of 3rd Class Trooper. Pow was operational all over the Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal but it was in the Free State where he was primarily based as part of E Division. The S.A.C. had, as has been mentioned, a dual role to play – they were actively engaged with the regular army in the sweeping drives undertaken to capture the Boer forces who had fragmented into small but highly mobile Commandoes who would harass the lines of communication as well as surprise isolated pockets of Imperial troops. They were also required to keep the peace and provide a police presence in the areas where there was none. As a testament to his efforts he was promoted to Lance Corporal on 1 August 1902.

Writing from Bloemfontein on 29 October 1903 – the war had ended on 31 May 1902 and Pow was involved in purely police work – he begged permission to purchase his discharge from the Corps and “I also beg to apply for 3 months furlough on full pay as I have served in the Corps for 2 ½ years and had no previous leave and there are no entries in my defaulters sheet.”

A further motivation for his request came from Pow on 24 November 1903 wherein he stated that he applying for early discharge to “take up an appointment offered me here provided I can be released from the Corps in good time – I intend staying in Bloemfontein.”

This was duly granted and a Leave Certificate issued for the dates 20 January until 19 April 1904 pending discharge in South Africa time expired. Pow was destined never to return to the S.A.C. – his discharge papers provide his date of discharge as 19 April 1904 after exactly 3 years’ service and his Character rating was Exemplary. His forwarding address was c/o Mrs Barns, Douglas Street, Bloemfontein.

This wasn’t to be the last time we were to hear from Pow – writing on 30 January 1906 from Caxton House in Bloemfontein where he was employed by The Friend newspaper, he stated that,

“Having been informed that the clasps to the S.A. Medal have arrived, I beg to make application for three which I am entitled, viz: Transvaal, 1901, 1902
I am sir…. (He already had the clasps for the Cape Colony and Orange Free State)

Whilst there was no problem with the date clasps an issue arose around the Transvaal clasp with the Divisional Commandant of the S.A.C. in the Orange River Colony writing to Pow on 2 February 1906 as follows:

“As the Transvaal clasp has not yet been claimed for you on the Medal Rolls of the Division, it will be necessary for you to produce a certificate to the effect that you are entitled to the clasp in question, signed by some Officer under whom you served, as cognisant of the fact that you did serve, in that Colony. As soon as such certificate is received in this Office, your name will be included on the Supplementary Rolls, now in course of compilation, for the clasp.”

This prompted a reply from Pow writing from Caxton House in Henry Street, Bloemfontein as follows,

“Sir

I beg to make application for the “Transvaal” clasp to my Queen’s S.A. Medal. Formerly I belonged to Troop 16, “E” Division, and in the beginning of 1902 I served with Lieut. Waller, on the Hoopstad – Klerksdorp patrol. Major Vaughan being in charge of the party.

I may state that my reason for not making earlier application is that Lieut. Waller, previous to leaving the Corps in February 1902, informed us that the names of the men who took part in the patrol would be forwarded to headquarters; therefore I deemed it unnecessary to make further application.

As Mr Waller’s whereabouts are unknown to me and Major Vaughan not likely to identify each individual who served with him, I leave my application in your hands.”

On 24 February 1906 he received written confirmation that “it has been ascertained that you are entitled to the Transvaal clasp” so ended the saga of the medal leaving Pow with a full complement of 5 clasps.

Finlay McDonald Pow remained in Bloemfontein the rest of his natural life. He was employed as a Linotype Operator at The Friend Newspaper until his death on 30 January 1931 at the age of 52 years and 11 months. He was survived by his wife Winifred and their children Harold Pow, born 1 May 1919 and Norman Pow born 11 May 1922. The family were living at 7 Krause Street, Bloemfontein at the time of his death.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.956 seconds