Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44784

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Frank Kelley wrote: You must forgive my sense of humour Rory, I have no doubt that your medals are original, but, a glance at the subject of this thread does make me think twice about ebay, I think it is okay if you actually know the seller you are going to buy from, otherwise, it is very easy to become unstuck.

Hi Frank......

F.Y.I. I have bought a few from this seller, he is disposing a bit at a time a collection that was put together in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's...... The estate of his Father and Grandfather...... Another member of the family is selling mostly W.W.1 onwards and he is selling the items from W.W.1 back a little at a time as he said he does not want to flood the market also even though I asked for a list he says he will post as they come......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44787

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Quite frankly, anyone, with even the most rudimentary knowledge of medals can clearly see that the particular medal you have brought to notice in this thread did not originally leave Woolwich as it is now, rather like that awful A&S Highlanders, that was the also the subject of a recent thread on this forum, so, in actual fact, my point remains very valid indeed.
Regards Frank

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44835

• Frank Kelley
The world appears to have gone mad, again, at least, certainly a couple of people have, assuming the actual medallion itself is okay, I do hope the buyer sees the problem and spends some more money to put it right, rather than simply placing it away for a decade or two, only to later discover the awful truth.

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44838

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
This QSA looked OK to me. The clasps look original, are verified on the roll (WO100/260p5) and are in the correct order. We can't see the naming but the abbreviation for the NFA is the same as my NFA medal.

What don't you like about it Frank?

The medal sold on 16 Jan for £ 496.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44839

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
I've certainly never seen an original Elandslaagte clasp exactly like that particular example on this medal, I have seen plenty of copy clasps that share the same lack of detail, the letters, in particular, the A's are really awful.
Regards Frank

Interesting Natal Unit Medal...... 8 years 3 months ago #44840

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Frank, I know what you mean. I was compensating for the fact that it is not taken at very high resolution ans attributed the lack of detail to that.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds