Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA to Dillon of Nesbitt's Horse and S.A.C. (attached to Farmers Guard) 8 years 5 months ago #44272

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
Not much has been written about the Farmers Guard and, up till the point I researched Dillon, I was unaware that any S.A.C. member had been attached to them for duty during the war - and yet there it was, in his papers. I am indebted to a fellow Forum Member for this medal - knowing my interests he very kindly acquired it for me.

Frederick John Lamb Dillon

Corporal, Nesbitt’s Horse
Quarter Master Sergeant, South African Constabulary, attached to the Farmers Guard – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal to 657 Q.M.SGT. F.J.L.Dillon, S.A.C.

Fred Dillon unlike most of his peers in the S.A.C. was not recruited from foreign shores into their ranks. He was a home-grown son of the Eastern Cape soil. Born on 11 September 1879 in Grahamstown, Albany District he was the son of Dr Thomas Joseph Lamb Dillon, the local District Surgeon and his wife Gertrude, born Atherstone. Aside from his parents young Frederick was blessed with two siblings, Mabel Sancroft Dillon and Geraldine De Lion Wentworth Dillon. He was baptised in St George’s in Grahamstown on 24 October 1879.

At the age of 21 Dillon, a Student, enlisted at Grahamstown for service with Nesbitt’s Horse “until the end of hostilities” – the hostilities referred to was of course the Anglo Boer War which had been raging since October of 1899; primarily in the Northern Cape, Orange Free State and Natal where the armies of Great Britain were ranged against the two Boer Republics of the Transvaal and the Orange Free State. His attestation form completed on 6 April 1900 required him to serve “within the area for which this Corps has been formed (namely the District of Albany or elsewhere)”. It was also recorded on the form that Dillon had been “substituted for man discharged” – this was a common practice in Colonial units where an enlisted man might have to return to his farm and his place would be taken by a replacement or substitute.

Nesbitt’s Horse had been raised in the Eastern Cape in December 1899 by Colonel Nesbitt, "a veteran South African campaigner" and was about 300 strong. The strength varied greatly, being at one time about 5 squadrons.

Dillon took his discharge from Nesbitt’s Horse on 3 February 1900 and, possibly, returned to his studies. His Certificate of Discharge stated that he was discharged “time expired” with the rank of Lance Corporal and that his Character had been Very Good.

It was to be over a year later when he took the decision to enlist with the South African Constabulary completing the Attestation forms on 15 March 1901. The S.A.C. forms also provide us with a more thorough picture of the man – he was 5 feet 6 inches in height with grey eyes, fair hair and a fair complexion. He weighed 9 stone and was a member of the Church of England. Assigned the number 657 Dillon commenced with the many and varied duties of a South African Constabulary man with the rank of 2nd Class Sergeant. These duties, in times of war, were to not only police the district to which you were deployed (in his case the Orange Free State Division) but also to provide military support to the British and Colonial forces in their fight against the Boers.

Dillon must have acquitted himself well rising to the rank of Temporary Quarter Master Sergeant on 1 April 1901 – two weeks after enlistment.

Operating mainly in the Orange River Colony as the Orange Free State became known after the Boer surrender, Dillon was attached to the Farmers Guard and, on 29 May 1902, 2 days before the end of the war, the Officer Commanding “C” Troop of the Farmers Guard wrote to his Officer Commanding in Bloemfontein attaching Dillon’s application for discharge. Major Morris wrote back the same day as follows,

“Please obtain from Q.M.S. Dillon satisfactory proof that he served over 6 months in the field in the present campaign prior to joining the Corps” A copy of Dillon’s discharge certificate was duly attached and sent by return post. Interestingly no mention is made of the date of his discharge (although we know it to be the 3rd of February – far short of the six months alluded to)

This was enough for the authorities to proceed and on 2 June 1902 Dillon was instructed to report to the Staff Adjutant “E” Division for discharge which took place on 6 June. On 29 August 1902 the O.C. Commanding “Caledon River” Sub-Division wrote to the S.A.C. Staff Officer forwarding an application from ex Q.M.S. Dillon “who served in the Farmers Guard (attached from the S.A.C.) for an indulgence passage home. “He will be able to procure this I understand, on a recommendation from you. I shall be grateful if you could arrange this” the Staff Officer wrote.

Dillon had served with the S.A.C. for 14 months and 22 days and left with a Character rating of Very Good to a forwarding address of Thursford House, Grahamstown. Initially awarded the Kings South Africa Medal this was according to a memorandum dated 5 May 1905 from the Chief Staff Officer, S.A.C. Auckland Park to the Divisional Commandant, Orange River Colony, Sydenham; “requested by the War Office to be returned. Please return through this office early”

This request was complied with leaving Dillon with his Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal which was sent to 38 Tudor Road, Earls Court.

According to his Death Notice, Frederick Dillon passed away at his residence, 100 Les Marais, Pretoria, on Friday, 4 June 1937 at the age of 57 years 8 months. He was a Musician at the time of his death. His wife, who passed away in Uvongo on the South Coast of Natal on 29 December 1965 never remarried and was 89 when she died. The couple had no children.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to Dillon of Nesbitt's Horse and S.A.C. (attached to Farmers Guard) 8 years 4 months ago #44310

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice Rory, I like Nesbitt's Horse, they were actually raised in Grahamstown on the 29th of December 1899, it never had the numbers originally intended, attachment to the Burgher Police/Farmer's Guard is interesting, certainly worth having just for that alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

QSA to Dillon of Nesbitt's Horse and S.A.C. (attached to Farmers Guard) 8 years 4 months ago #44322

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
Thanks Frank

Yes I have, inadvertently, acquired a few to Nesbitt's Horse in the last while. These Eastern cape raised units can be interesting.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.875 seconds