Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41598

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Evening Everyone......

There will be a Jiffy Bag dance to be done very soon and I will post some better pictures as soon as they arrive......

Had my fingers crossed that no one would have sniped right up to the last second......

There was a NSW Australian Artillery on auction at the same time so I split my bids between it and this one and when I did not win the Australian put all my funds into the Ceylon...... If someone had bid $15.00 more then they would have beat me......

Mike

Description.....

Boer war medal grouping. Seven bars with medals from Victoria and Edward along with the accompanying miniature set. The medal with Victoria has four bars Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Driefontein, and Cape Colony. It is inscribed on the edge 374 TRPR: G. Farquharson, Ceylon M.I. .

The second medal has two bars south Africa 1902 and South Africa 1901 and is inscribed on the edge. Lieut:G.F. Farquharson . A.S.C. .

The miniature set are the same as the large medals but lack any inscription.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41599

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Very nice, Mike. Congratulations! I hope that you are strong enough now to do your dancing.

Regards
Brett

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41600

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO100/211 and WO100/349 confirm both medals and all clasps with latter service in Number 48 Company Army Service Corps, so what made you buy that particular pair, Mike?

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41601

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Brett Hendey wrote: Very nice, Mike. Congratulations! I hope that you are strong enough now to do your dancing.

Regards
Brett

Good Morning Brett.....

Yes the surgery went very well and they had me up and walking very painfully true and only a couple of steps within 8 hours after the operation..... Has been 7 weeks now and with physio and home exercise I have graduated from a walker to crutches...... And can even get up and down stairs but only a few..... Both the Dr. and Physio Therapist think that every thing is going along OK and a little ahead of schedule still have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can drive though.....

Frank Kelley wrote: WO100/211 and WO100/349 confirm both medals and all clasps with latter service in Number 48 Company Army Service Corps, so what made you buy that particular pair, Mike?

Good Morning Frank.....

As you know my major theme is QSA's and any BW items to Canadians and The Canadian Scouts..... My secondary is to obtain at least one medal to every unit that served in SA..... I have only ever seen one Ceylon Mounted Infantry sold in my years of collecting and it was a good opportunity to keep me in the life style that I have become accustomed to since I started my collection...... Broke...... LOL

I how have at least one medal from The United Kingdom, South Africa, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ceylon and India (English and Indian S & B )

In keeping with general BW collecting I have been offered a Mauser Rifle, that is brand new, never been fired, and taken / captured / liberated from the armoury in Pretoria, c/w tag on rifle and paperwork that states, From the Officer-in-Charge of war souvenirs'' / booty that this has been given to a certain Colonel and he has permission to take it home.......

So it was a toss up between the medal or the rifle and you can tell which I chose...... Also I had let my FAC laps and I have to get a new one......

Oh Yes, Thank you for the Roll information.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41602

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Well, I think you have chosen well.
Regards Frank

New Aquisition....... 8 years 10 months ago #41603

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Dear Mike
The Ceylon MI pair you sniped out of my final bid.
I was sorry to miss it and congratulate you,
this very interesting medal group would have looked good in the 'FSburgher' collection. :(
Hope to bump into "QSAKSA" person to person some day soon. Happy collecting. Evyn

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds