TOPIC:

QSA medal which includes a date clasp 8 years 10 months ago #41523

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Chaps,
I'm still quite new to the forum and would like to ask a question that puzzles me on date clasps? i.e. the clasp "SOUTH AFRICA 1901"
and the clasp "SOUTH AFRICA 1902"
My question is why do some medals include the date clasps with the other array of clasps and some don't? Is it because the ones which don't were awarded in 1899 and 1900?
Bucknobs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA medal which includes a date clasp 8 years 10 months ago #41526

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Buck......

If the person had service in SA in 1901 and 1902 but did not have enough service (18 months) to get the King's medal he would just be awarded the dated bars.......

See the description of the KSA in the Medals and Awards section of the Main Menu.......

Para's:

5. The medal will also be granted to officers, warrant officers, non­commissioned officers, and men who have been invalided by reason of wounds received in action prior to January 1st, 1902, thereby being unable to complete an aggregate service of 18 months in South Africa, provided they returned there for any period between January 1st, 1902, and May 31st, 1902, both dates inclusive.

6. Two clasps will also be granted - (a) a clasp, "South Africa 1901" to all who served in. South Africa between January 1st 1901, and December 31st, 1901, both dates inclusive; (b) a clasp "South Africa 1902" to all who served in South Africa between January 1st, 1902 and May 31st, 1902, both days inclusive.

7. The above clasps will be worn with the medal granted by Army Order 94 of 1901 by those qualified to receive them, if they are not entitled to receive the medal granted by this Order. If they are entitled to receive the medal granted by this Order, the above clasps will be worn with it.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA medal which includes a date clasp 8 years 10 months ago #41527

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Mike!
I now have grasped the 1901 & 1902 clasps part of it but please explain the ones without the date clasps for instance a QSA with lets say just only the Natal clasp or just only the Relief of Ladysmith clasp? can we presume they were invalided out or killed in action or just didn't complete the eighteen months required duty between the 1901, 1902 period?
Bucknobs.

QSA medal which includes a date clasp 8 years 10 months ago #41533

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi Buck......

Yes that is a possibility for a single clasp but then again a single Cape Colony for instance maybe that is the only place the man served...... I have a medal to a Colonel and he served the whole war in the Cape and got no other bars....... But that is for state bars, battle bars are different........

That is where research comes into play......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: bucknobs

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds