TOPIC:

Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 11 months ago #244

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
This rather battered group of three belongs to Private A H Heather, 16th Lancers.

It is unusual because not many men from the 16th Lancers were present at Talana. There appears to be just three, Major Dixon, Private Heather and Private Hayes. The medal to Private Hayes may have been forfeited due to desertion but he later served in the SAC and may have re-earned some entitlement but it is not clear whether a medal was awarded.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 11 months ago #245

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
A very interesting group, David. What are the clasps on the QSA and are they originals? Also, have you got copies of his SAC papers?

Regards
Brett

Re: Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 11 months ago #247

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

The clasps are CC Tal DoL Joh DH Witt. Pte Heather seems to have stayed in the 16th Lancers so I will need to see if his service papers are available.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 11 months ago #252

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

I mentioned SAC papers because, as you no doubt know, they are often very detailed and revealing.

Regards
Brett

Re: Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 8 months ago #941

• kjdsmith
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

Going back to my family history research after several years, I decided to investigate the service history of my ancestors and their kin.

I was wonderfully surprized to come across your posting whilst researching my first cousin 4x removed, a certain Private Albert Henry Heather of the 16th Lancers, servant to Major Dixon.

Forgive my ignorance, are these campaign medals, or good service/gallentry medals.

Any detail you can give of how he came about them would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Kevin

Re: Unusual Talana QSA to the 16th Lancers 12 years 7 months ago #1043

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Kevin,

In answer to your question, the QSA and KSA are campaign medals and were awarded for his service in South Africa during the Boer War. The Special Constabulary medal was for service in the Police. The conditions for awarding the Special Constabulary Long Service medals are:

This medal was established by King George V in Aug 1918 "in consideration of the faithful and devoted service" of the Special Constabulary during the Great, "and also of providing a means of recognizing continued and efficient service" in the future.

The medal is in bronze with the Sovereign's effigy on the obverse, and on the reverse there is the inscription "FOR FAITHFUL SERVICE IN THE SPECIAL CONSTABULARY".

To qualify during the two World Wars a special constable must have served without pay for not less than three years, and during that period have performed at least fifty police duties a year, and be recommended by a chief officer of Police as willing and competent to discharge the duties of special constable as required. A bar, "THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918" was awarded with the medal to those who qualified.

In peace the medal is granted after nine years' service provided the fifty duties a year have been performed, and the candidate is recommend; by a chief officer of Police.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds