Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the 4th Mountain Battery RGA 12 years 1 month ago #2421

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
I have a QSA/KSA pair impressed to "29573 Gnr L. Curran 4th M.B. R.G.A." on QSA and "R.G.A" only on KSA. Clasps on QSA are "Rhod", "Tug.Hts","OFS", "R of L" and "Tvaal". Some time ago, I obtained a CD of R.A. nominal rolls for the QSA and was intrigued to see that 29573 was the only man in 4th M.B. with a "yes" in the "Rhodesia" clasp column. His entitlement entry had a notation: "68/ART/4172A" and in very small letters "Transvaal issued". I should also say that the "yes" in the "Rhodesia" column has a little "x" above it; like many other "yesses" for other clasps for other men.
I invite forum members to comment on this clasp entitlement, please. Is such a clasp entitlement possible? Is it possible that Gnr. L.Curran was somehow seconded to Rhodesia to train others on the Mountain Gun? Was the "yes" just a mistake?
To conclude, Gnr. L.Curran later was awarded a LSCG in 1917 and finally applied for his 14/15 Star trio in 1934. I do not have the latter four medals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 4th Mountain Battery RGA 12 years 1 month ago #2428

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
Morning Ian,

This is an interesting one.

There is a Supplementary roll for Lawrence Curran in the 63rd Co RGA (WO100/145p75) which notes his previous service in the 4th MB and that a 3 clasp QSA was issued. The note says his joined the 63th Co in Sept 1902 having transferred to the 56th Co (at a date I can't quite read but perhaps 22 Mar 1902).

The QSA roll for the 63rd Co (WO100/145p67) lists OFS TH & RoL with a note saying he transferred to the 63rd Co on 15 Apr 1902.

The TR clasp is contained on WO100/146p63. The KSA(2) is on WO100/310p309.

The QSA roll page of interest is WO100/146p49. This clearly shows the Rhodesia clasp with a *Yes to show it is a later addition. I thought it might have been a mistake for the Tr clasp and, while this may be the case and hence the additional entry on page 63, the Rhodesia clasp appears official and should be marked as a confirmed oddity and a very nice one at that!

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Medals to the 4th Mountain Battery RGA 12 years 1 month ago #2433

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Thanks for the info on Gunner L. Curran. Perhaps one day the reason for the issue of the "Rhodesia" clasp will be known.
Regards
Ian Linney.

Medals to the 4th Mountain Battery RGA 2 years 5 months ago #79902

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (3) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (21344 Gnr: W. H. Parke, 4th. M.B., R.G.A.)

W H Parke served with the 4th Mountain Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery in South Africa during the Boer War, and died of disease at Pretoria on 21 November 1900.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.187 seconds