TOPIC:

Boer War Tribute Medal from Carnarvon in Wales 12 years 2 months ago #2299

• mlaidlaw
  • mlaidlaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
This is my first post.

I have a Tribute Medal from Carnarvon in Wales. It is engraved on the back: "PRESENTED BY THE BURGESSES OF CARNARVON TO PTE. JOHN WILLIAMS 3rd Vol. Batt. Royal Welsh Fusiliers On His Return from Active Service in SOUTH AFRICA MAY. 1901" and stamped W.J.H and 9CT at the foot.

The obverse has the coat of arms of the town of Carnarvon. This is a shield having the arms of King Edward II as the Prince of Wales with an eagle crest and flanked by floral branches. The legend on a raised band around: “S’COMUNITATIS VILLE D’RARNARVAN (sic)”.

This medal is not recorded in Hibbard. I have beeen in contact with the curator of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers museum and he can find no record of the medal or the recipient. I have the QSA roll of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and can't find John Williams recorded there.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Boer War Tribute Medal from Carnarvon in Wales 12 years 2 months ago #2302

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Michael.....

I also have a couple of Tribute Medals that are not listed in Hibbard, he only has one listed from Canada and I have three that are not..... I understand that when he put the book together he listed the information on all the medals / medallions that he could find.... I am surprised that you could not find a John Williams as that is a very common name in Wales.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlaidlaw

Re: Boer War Tribute Medal from Carnarvon in Wales 12 years 2 months ago #2304

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Michael, welcome to the ABW Forum. I can find 7428 Pte. John Williams of the Volunteer Service Company, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers on the Royal Welsh Fusiliers QSA roll with QSA and Cape Colony Clasp (WO 100/181 pg 202, dated July 1901, Britstown).

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds