Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 11 years 6 months ago #5801

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Brett,

It seems that both Fairlie's miniatures and full-size medals match. It would seem quite probable that these are what he wore but without a photograph or document listing "his" medals we really don't know.

I imagine it was quite easy for Scott to get away with wearing a KSA. One can certainly have some sympathy for him if just a break of a few weeks between units is what kept him from getting a KSA. It is really understandable that the men of the NP felt hard done by not getting the KSA. Even if they had returned to civil duties they were still involved in the war effort for the duration.

I have a relative who was in the RAMC as an orderly during the war. He arrived in Natal in August 1900 and as far as I can tell (his service record survives) he spent the entire war at the hospital at Howick. He was given a QSA without any clasps as the Natal campaign was supposedly "over" by August 1900. He received the KSA with SA 1901 & 1902 clasps. He was actively involved in the war as a medical orderly and it is fitting that he received these medals for his service but weren't the policemen in the same town pretty much just as entitled?

The apparent wearing of the KSA by members of the NP is said to be well known. However, I've seen very little photographic evidence to support this. Either I just haven't looked at the right photos or could it be that this is just a rumour and there is actually very little evidence to support this claim? Apart from the photos of Scott and Campbell what others are there out there to support the wearing of the KSA claim?

Scott wasn't NP during the war so his KSA isn't really a Natal Police one. If this practice was openly being done within the NP there must have been some kind of understanding amongst the brass of the unit to allow this. I can't see it being done openly on a wide scale without some kind of a nod and wink from the top. If Fairlie was openly wearing a BSA Co medal the NP top brass must have known if he was or wasn't entitled to it. He was appointed an Inspector in 1890 as far as I know. Or does this indicate that if he did this he must have done this much later on in his career? Perhaps in an attempt to impress to secure a later military position after his time in the NP? Was it perhaps only retired members of the NP that took to wearing the KSA?

Brett, as you've rightfully said the NP KSA's are a minefield. There are definitely many more questions than we ever are going to get answers to. Regardless, these were interesting men and they have their place in history even if they did wear some ribbons that the powers-that-be didn't see fit to award them.

Cheers,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 11 years 6 months ago #5803

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Alf,
Well, I've looked, but, I can't find him anywhere on the 1896 rolls, both Mark and Brett raise some very interesting points on here, regarding the Natal Police and I think those miniatures still make a lovely sight to see!
It is something that I have never collected but I do think contemporary miniatures are worth having and this is reflected in the prices now being asked for good examples.
Regards Frank

anthony03 wrote: Hi Brett- I know this item was discussed a while ago but I have his mounted miniatures in my possession.( see pic) Do you have any further info on the BSA Company Medal?
Kind regards
Alf

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 11 years 6 months ago #5814

• anthony03
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for all your help Frank. It is really appreciated.
Kind regards
Alf

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.977 seconds