Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1943

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
I was privileged recently to hold the group attributed to Colonel Charles Fairlie of Natal Police fame in my hands.

Almost immediately concerns as to his entitlement were raised. As can be seen from the photo below he has the Military Cross which his grandson claims was for the Zulu War (we all know that to be impossible but nevertheless..) this is followed by the 1896 BSAC Rhodesia medal (no clasp)- on closer inspection this unnamed medal is either a very clever copy or an official replacement issue. Irregadless of its origins I don't believe Fairlie to have been entitled to it.

The QSA is correctly named but to 81968 Bomb. WE Turner 88th Battery, RFA with clasps OFS/CC. The KSA, also correctly named, is to Bomb. E Snelling, RHA.Both are clearly not Fairlie's and he is not entitled to the KSA. The group is rounded off by the only medals actually named to him - the 1906 Natal engraved to Major CE Fairlie and the WWI trio named to Major CE Fairlie 2nd S.A.M.R. for service in German South West Africa.

There is something clearly amiss with Fairlie's group - did he lose some of his medals and happen upon replacements? Who can explain the ones he is not entitled to and what of the MC? I can find no reference in the LG. I would hate to think that someone with such a distinguished record could have been a possible Walt.

Your views comments and confirmations would be appreciated.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1944

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Rory

Fairlie was indeed awarded the MC during WWI. It was gazetted on 22/8/1918 for service as a Captain in the 2nd SA Mounted Rifles during the German South West Africa campaign. D R Forsyth published a roll entitled 'Decorations awarded to Natal, Cape Colony and Union Defence Force units 1877-1961' that includes Fairlie's award. A perusal of this roll led me to believe that towards the end of the war a large number of MC's, DCM's and perhaps other decorationd were given to the South African military authorities and these were distributed one of each type to some, most or all the units involved in the GSWA campaign. How the recipients were identified is a mystery to me. Perhaps the unit commanders decided upon the most worthy recipients.

Like most Natal Policemen who served in the Boer War, Fairlie was not awarded a KSA, but he certainly had a QSA. Many years ago, I saw his QSA displayed in the Colenso Museum. It was no longer there a year ot two later, so it had either been stolen or it had been retrieved by the Natal Provincial Museum Service. Either way, the chances of this medal re-appearing are not good.

Regards
Brett

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1946

• Rory
Thanks Brett

This confirms what we discussed. I have, since posting this morning, had a chat to the grandson advising him that the QSA was spotted in Colenso.

I'll let you know developments from here.

Regards

Rory

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1949

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
C.E. Fairlie had the QSA with Natal clasp and was later awarded the SA 1901 clasp presumably in 1909. As far as I can tell his SA 1901 clasp was amongst the 327 clasps sent to the NP on 7 May 1909.

Although the ruling that service in the NP didn't count towards the KSA had been made in 1906 the NP were deeply unhappy about this. In hope, protest or defiance the NP [signed by Col W Clarke dated 9 July 1908 at PMB] sent an application claiming SA 1901 and SA 1902 clasps for the corps but stopped short of making any entry in the column headed "Whether also entitled to the King's South Africa Medal." Period of service was given as "11-10-99 to 31-05-02"; clearly showing the NP believed they had served for the duration; a strong hint that they deserved the KSA.

Under "Remarks" the processing clerk/official has entered the following with an arrow to the KSA entitlement column "Not eligible for KM. Informed 21-03-10."

It is known that some members of the NP wore KSAs presumably in the belief that they had been wronged by the powers-that-be. Certainly one can understand and sympathise with their feelings. Perhaps Fairlie held this belief and this would account for the KSA in the group.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1951

• Rory
Thanks Mark

That accounts for the KSA, possibly, leaving only the Rhodesia 1896 to account for...

Regards

Rory

Re: Charles Evelyn Fairlie - Natal Police 12 years 3 months ago #1953

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
In case anyone missed it, here is a link to an article on the KSA to the Natal Police:

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-to-the-natal-police

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.143 seconds