• Page:

TOPIC:

1901 Sharpshooters medal to the KRRC 9 years 3 weeks ago #26682

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
This has been advertised on eBay for $270.

The seller believes it is a Boer War award:

Here offered is a most unusual Boer War service medal - it is a United States Massachusetts National Guard Medal dated 1901 . It has an elaborate inscription on the reverse of CPL. T. A. James K.R.R.- South Africa. ( Kings Royal Rifles!!) The connector or ribbon is Ostrich skin or hide- I know this is Ostrich because of the dimple pattern in the skin or hide! Obviously you are not EVER going to see another medal like this if you collect Boer War medals!! This is probably from a Boer War veteran who either was in the United States and then went to serve in the later part of the Boer War or a veteran who served in the war and then came to the United States. EITHER WAY IT IS A REALLY NICE MEDAL!! The Kings Royal Rifles was a really fighting regiment in the later part of the Boer War. At Talana Heights or Hill really fought a valiant battle and they had 2 Victoria Cross winners in the Boer War from this regiment. The medal is in great condition and it has great engraving on the back. No marks, scars, gouges or saber slashes to it.

Massachusetts National Guard Medal?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1901 Sharpshooters medal to the KRRC 9 years 3 weeks ago #26684

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
I thought it somehow looked familiar; ages ago I did some research into semi-official/unofficial shooting medals and saw many illustrations of US types. M.V.M. stands for Massacheusetts Volunteer Militia. Normally, from memory, such a medal had qualifying clasps (rifle/pistol/sabre); from which the medal was suspended. No Cpl.T.A.James of KRRC in Palmer list; nor in your Talana book. Regret that I do not have the KRRC roll in my little colection.
All said, an interesting item.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

1901 Sharpshooters medal to the KRRC 9 years 3 weeks ago #26685

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
That's very interesting Ian - thank you!

There is a 8612 Bugler T James on the 3rd KRRC roll with clasps CC, Tr, RoL, TH & LN. He earned the KSA (2) as S James on the roll.

That could be him but how then could he earn a Massachusetts medal?
Dr David Biggins

1901 Sharpshooters medal to the KRRC 9 years 3 weeks ago #26688

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
The "1901" bar does limit things a bit as far as 8612 James T is concerned! Another enigma to ponder. :dry:
Best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds