Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 10 months ago #69587

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I am not sure where the Corporal information came from as he is listed in the nominal roll as sergeant.

I went through the Siege Slips today and these do list a Corporal Andrews in the Bechuanaland Rifles which I am as certain as I can be is this man.

That said, there is not a 100% consistency between the names on this list and the names on the roll. For example Private John Quayle is listed on the Siege Slip but on the roll he is ticked for CC, Tr and Rhodesia.

Bell, FC; Clow, HW; Funnell, F and Woodthorpe are the same as Quayle. Private C H Robins is on the roll for Rhod RoM and SA01.

The search continues for definitive proof that Sergeant Andrews participated in the siege of Mafeking.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 4 months ago #73290

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From today's City Coins auction, 27 November 2020

KSA (2) (Lieut E. D. Shipman, Bech’ld Rifles)

Ernest Darcy Shipman was mentioned in Kitchener’s Despatch of 8 March 1902 (LG 25 April 1902, p2769): “At Jakalsfontein on 8 Feb 1902 attacked a laager with his troop and held them till reinforcements arrived”.

There were two Lieutenants with the surname Shipman (brothers) in the Bechuanaland Rifles. However, Colin Walker in the “Mafeking Siege Register” confirms E D Shipman as the one who was MiD.

His QSA with clasps DoM, OFS & Tvl was returned to Woolwich in March 1908, making the KSA his sole medal entitlement.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 4 months ago #73443

• love4history
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering why the QSA to Shipman would have been returned? Does anyone know what the medal roll exactly says please?

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 4 months ago #73448

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The usual reason is that the recipient could not be traced to complete the issue of the medal.

When soldiers joined local South African units, they did give an address most of the time but this was sometimes very vague eg the Post Office in a town or city. If the person could not be contacted via that address in the months and years after the war, the medal would eventually (1907-09) be returned to the authorities.

We can also see in the newspapers of the time that advertisements were placed asking recipients to claim their medals.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: love4history

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 4 months ago #73449

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This is an example of the advertisement that appeared in newspapers

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/15-important-...-advertisements#9044
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 4 months ago #73465

• love4history
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for the reply. Makes sense of course, returned as "undeliverable" sort of speaking. So the returning of the QSA very likely doesn't mean he wouldn't have been entitled to it. (as I feared at first)

(and yes, I'm the lucky collector who will probably be able to add Lt. Shipman's KSA to the collection, in a few weeks :) hence the interest in the man

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.225 seconds