TOPIC:

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24946

• mactire
  • mactire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
My name is John Duggan. The reason for joining this forum is to find out more information about my 3 great grand uncles who took part in the Boer War. Charles Duggan 6122 RMF. Daniel Duggan 3148 RMF. and James Duggan 3468 RMF.
Charlie Duggan played football with the 1903 kerry team they won the all Ireland that year.
Any help would be great. Thanks John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24953

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello John,
Welcome here, the Dirty Shirts were always bloody superb, well this is all very interesting indeed, all three appear to have had very similar service in the war, with the 1st Battalion, but, how much do you actually know about them yourself?
I took a very brief look at them in WO100, WO97, WO363 and WO364, the most interesting of the three is, without any doubt whatsoever, Daniel Duggan, an 18 year old labourer from Castlemaine Country Kerry who joined the Army from the Militia in 1889, he had very considerable service in India too, but, served in South Africa from the 24th of August 1899 to the 28th of August 1902.
As well as the usual service papers, his discharge papers have survived along with some very interesting Court of Enquiry and related letters of correspondence and in addition, some regimental default sheets too.
He served again in the Great War with the Munster's and the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
James Duggan was a 18 year old Baker from Dublin upon joining the Army in 1890, he served in South Africa from the 26th of November 1899 to the 28th of August 1902, whilst he received the Cape Colony clasp on his QSA, interestingly, both Charles Duggan and Daniel Duggan served together at Belmont, earning the clasp on their QSA's, Belmont was a very bloody battle indeed.
Again, welcome here and bon chance if you choose to take this matter further, regards Frank Kelley

mactire wrote: Hi
My name is John Duggan. The reason for joining this forum is to find out more information about my 3 great grand uncles who took part in the Boer War. Charles Duggan 6122 RMF. Daniel Duggan 3148 RMF. and James Duggan 3468 RMF.
Charlie Duggan played football with the 1903 kerry team they won the all Ireland that year.

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24956

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello John,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
I am unable to add to Franks excellent reply except to say good luck with further research.

Cheers
Paul :)

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24957

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
This particular regiment has always interested me for a number of differing reasons, as I mentioned to you in your own recent Irish thread, it is a little too close to home for me, perhaps not from a geographical point of view, Tralee was just a little south, back in the golden age, of course, but, whilst I have always admired them as a regiment, members of it, certainly did not always exhibit behaviour that one might have expected, from a British soldier, even as late as the Anglo Boer War.
With the result that you often had some real, well, let us say "career characters" within their rank and file, notwithstanding, all that had been before, certainly, by 1914 they had evolved into a superb force, with, in my opinion at least, rather few equals.
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello John,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
I am unable to add to Franks excellent reply except to say good luck with further research.

Cheers
Paul :)

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24969

• mactire
  • mactire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank many thanks for all the information you have given me I know very little about Charles, James and Daniel Duggan I have only really started researching them. I started researching the Duggan Family because we have a strong Military history to this very day and i started the research because my Great grand father Thomas Duggan the youngest brother to the 3 mentioned above was with the leinster Regiment and later the Royal Engineers. I was given an army number for him its 3239 only 2 thomas Duggans served with the leinsters during ww1 one died and one survived . Any Information or documents you can share with me regarding my family would be great. Kindest regards john Duggan

Medals to the Royal Munster Fusiliers 9 years 2 months ago #24973

• Frank Kelley
Hello John,
Yes, I can see Thomas Duggan in WO372, I looked at the rolls in WO339 and they show he had served in the Great War with the 1st, 7th and 2nd Battalions of the Leinster Regiment, in that order, as well as the Royal Engineers, they also confirm a discharge date of the 11th of September 1918, unfit for further service, a disembarkation date to France in respect of his star is shown as the 1st of February 1915.
Very dark days indeed, sadly, was he related to any of the other Duggan's in the regiment?
The Leinster lacks something in my opinion when compared with the Munster's!
Regards Frank

mactire wrote: Frank many thanks for all the information you have given me I know very little about Charles, James and Daniel Duggan I have only really started researching them. I started researching the Duggan Family because we have a strong Military history to this very day and i started the research because my Great grand father Thomas Duggan the youngest brother to the 3 mentioned above was with the leinster Regiment and later the Royal Engineers. I was given an army number for him its 3239 only 2 thomas Duggans served with the leinsters during ww1 one died and one survived . Any Information or documents you can share with me regarding my family would be great. Kindest regards john Duggan

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds