Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 days ago #10206

• Madziro
  • Madziro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Gentlemen

Thank you for the very kind comments. The BMR is a fascinating regiment and for me of particular interest. They originate from the Ixopo district of Natal and I had the good fortune to have deployed with the SADF there. It allowed me to discover that many of the old family members ancestors who served during the ABW are still farming there.

The BMR deployed during the 1906 Rebellion and their only "wounded in action" casualty was a bloke by the name of CF Forder. He later joined the Natal Light Horse and served in the First World War and then took a commission and promoted to 2nd Lt with the 3rd Royal Sussex Regt. He was killed in action and buried at Three Elms Cemetery in Belgium. While not being a big medal collector, his medals are in the collection.

Regards

Dudley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 days ago #10209

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Dudley

Thank you for putting the BMR in context. The old Natal farming families like the Forders are being thinned out by deaths and emigration, but they are still owed a great debt of gratitude by the people of Natal. Your account of C F Forder illustrates the family sense of duty and the commitment these people had to the society that they helped forge.

The badge shown below with the King's Crown is of the type that would have been worn by the BMR during the 1906 Rebellion.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 days ago #10211

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Super badge Brett, I like the large slouch hat ring on the reverse, I take it that this particular badge has survived you down sizing your own collection?

Brett Hendey wrote: Dudley

Thank you for putting the BMR in context. The old Natal farming families like the Forders are being thinned out by deaths and emigration, but they are still owed a great debt of gratitude by the people of Natal. Your account of C F Forder illustrates the family sense of duty and the commitment these people had to the society that they helped forge.

The badge shown below with the King's Crown is of the type that would have been worn by the BMR during the 1906 Rebellion.

Regards
Brett

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 days ago #10217

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank
I still have the badge.
Regards
Brett

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 4 days ago #10224

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Brett,

I have the same badge but seeing the smasher hat ring on yours, prompted me to check my own and I see it has been cut off :( c'est la vie......
I take it that that is the original green baize backing? It's the first time I've seen one and it seems to have been cut out in a circle with pinking shears.

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote:

Regards
Brett

Border Mounted Rifles 11 years 3 days ago #10228

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The use of melton cloth and a pair of pinking shears was very common in the Anglo Boer War too, as far as the SAMIF went, I like it very much!

iaindh wrote: Hi Brett,

I have the same badge but seeing the smasher hat ring on yours, prompted me to check my own and I see it has been cut off :( c'est la vie......
I take it that that is the original green baize backing? It's the first time I've seen one and it seems to have been cut out in a circle with pinking shears.

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote:

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.630 seconds