TOPIC:

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89648

• RHCPLHAMMONS
  • RHCPLHAMMONS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am researching Roberts Horse as my GG Grandfather George Hammons RGT No. 2231 served with them from 8.1.1900 - 14.1.1900 and was discharged as a CPL. He was from America and had previously served with the 5th Infantry USA from 1885-1890. He was born in Maine USA and in 1899 took on a job as a muleteer on a ship headed to Cape Town out of New Orleans, USA. 3 days after being discharged on 5.1.1900 he enlisted in the RH. He later returned to America where he again joined the Army in 1902 serving with the 8th Infantry in Alaska. He died in 1931 and is buried in California. The Photo of him is an alias he used after deserting from his first enlistment in the Army where he used his birth name Frederick Leroy Hammons. Later George Leroy Reed, then George Leroy Hammons. This has been confirmed with DNA testing.

I have been trying to find out information on the uniforms worn by the unit. The depiction of the unit at Kroon shows them with Pith helmets with 'Roberts' written on the side with some sort of feather on the left side. I am, curious if this is correct as most of the SA units wore Bush/slouch hats.

I am aware of the Officer buttons made in England that most likely would not have been prevalent in the 1900 Campaign due to the unit being renamed in January 1900 and then moving off on campaign by February of the same year.

I have the same apprehension for the 3 versions of the cap badge I have found online two on this forum and one through an auction.

I have not been able to find any photos or accounts regarding uniforms and equipment worn specifically by Roberts Horse during the 1900 Campaign.

If anyone could help shed some light or point my in a direction for additional research I would be most grateful!

V/R
John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89649

• RHCPLHAMMONS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
His SA Medal documents
Attachments:

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89650

• RHCPLHAMMONS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Here is the first, fist hand account I have been able to find that gives a bit regarding some uniform items but nothing distinctive. mansellupham.wordpress.com/2020/01/12/wi...in-two-parts-part-1/

Edit added content -

Doyle in The War in South Africa one of the later additions taken FROM " and everywhere the wild South African irregulars with their bandoliers and unkempt wiry horses, Rimington's men with the racoon bands, Roberts's Horse with the black plumes, some with pink puggarees, some with birdseye, but all of the same type, hard, rugged, and alert. " This account could be correct as they may have kept the same plume as the South African Light Horse as they were originally the 2nd Regiment of SALH. There is a photo in Cape Town with the SALH moving out as described in the first hand account at the time the 1st regiment was deployed. The 2nd regiment moved out of Cape Town before being renamed 'Roberts Horse.' The photo appears in several formats and is only labeled as SALH with no Rgt. designation.

Second Photo is new recruits in Cape Town for the SALH.

Third Photo labeled SALH however they are wearing pith helmets as depicted in the Kroon Spruit depiction.
Attachments:

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89651

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
John
There are probably pics illustrating the uniforms of men of Robert's Horse and I found one in Vol.1 With The Flag to Pretoria; obviously taken in camp and most are wearing the usual uniform of the time and forage caps - but one (or perhaps two) are wearing normal helmets. I also illustrate a rather crude , quite fragile hand-cut brass badge of "Roberts Horse"; which could be a shoulder title or badge for the side of the helmet. Apart from the hat bands for Rimingtons and the SALH, I really don't know about helmet bands for the other locally recruited mounted units. Perhaps other Forum members could contribute?

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RHCPLHAMMONS

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89660

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Stirling's "The colonials in South Africa, 1899-1902 : their record, based on the despatches" can be read online here
archive.org/details/colonialsinsouth00st...ft/page/160/mode/2up
The section on Roberts' Horse begins at p 160.
Regarding the uniform, a good idea can be gained from Andy May's accurate drawing of a SALH trooper. However, the Sakabula is mainly found in Natal and the Eastern Cape, so some SALH troopers (incl Churchill himself) seem to wear black ostrich or black cockerel feathers. I expect Roberts' Horse could have used those feathers rather than Sakabula feathers.
The badge and buttons were discussed here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/21-uniforms-b...t/3624-roberts-horse
I think the headgear mainly used in the field would have been a slouch hat, flap up on the left side, in preference to a foreign service helmet - especially in the later stages of the war.

Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, RHCPLHAMMONS

Roberts Horse uniform questions 11 months 4 weeks ago #89661

• RHCPLHAMMONS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL,

Thank you for the photo! Do you have a chapter that photo is taken from? Attempting to find a clearer image. I am curious if it might be their camp at De Aar in Jan 1900.I found one here PG 631 without the caption. What is interesting is one guy is wearing a scalloped front tunic typically seen with Scottish troops.

Rob D,

Thank you for that information! Yes I am starting to think it is a combination of the uniforms. The Photo of Cape Town show various feathers. There is a Path video labeled Australian Mounted Infantry Cape Town that might actually be SALH taken 22 Dec 1899. It will be conjecture until I can nail something down, that said I think a black plume (feather) of some type is accurate due to ties to the SALH and Doyle's account.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.695 seconds