Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #88992

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Is it possible to share any additional information you have reference your Great Grandfather? His parents names, wife or family details may help with his supposedly Boer War service. I agree with Rob, it certainly looks like a Artillery dress uniform. Also, I believe that Artillery were stationed at Halifax Citidel around 1903, which fits your timeline.

I have enclosed a photograph from one of my Boer War medal recipient's for you, reference Royal Artillery. Any additional info you can provide may help to find out if he did serve in the ABW conflict and possibly identify his regiment as being Artillery.

This chap served in the Royal Field Artillery .

Dave...
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #88993

• Irishinboerwar
  • Irishinboerwar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Many thanks for your response. I'm afraid I don't have his family information but this is what I'm keen to find. My Grandmother (Edward's 2nd child) knew he was Irish possibly with a connection to Cork and he had 2 younger brothers. No one ever met his family as they didn't live in Canada. Up until he was married he apparently sent his paypacket to his widowed mother in Ireland.
The woman in the photograph with Edward is my Great Grandmother Ellen Murphy. Her maiden name was also Murphy, she emigrated to Nova Scotia from Newfoundland. This photograph is in fact their wedding day. Ellen was a nurse. They were married by 1903 - when their first child was born - and I believe he had left the service by then. Edward sadly died in 1915 from a relapse of malaria, quite unusual in Nova Scotia. Sadly his children never had an opportunity to discuss his life and family with him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #88995

• Dave F
I am not sure if this is relevant? Or that you may already have this information taken from Find a grave? Interestingly, there is a reference to a Edward Murphy being born 1879 in Dublin. I will have a trawl through the records this week to see if I can find any military information. The recurring malaria may have been from active service somewhere hot.

I will keep you posted if I find anything relevant to your Great Grandfather.

Dave........
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #88996

• Irishinboerwar
  • Irishinboerwar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Dave, that's wonderful, thank you. It is absolutely the same man. My parents found the gravestone of Ellen but the information they had for Edward was not this complete. I wonder if his original grave site was 'forgotten'. Ellen lived to a grand old age and was laid to rest by my Mother in 1971. That's long after Ellen laid her husband to rest in 1915. Baby Eddie was my Grandmother's brother. As expressed on his grave, gone but not forgotten. It's important to remember our hardworking ancestors.

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #88997

• Dave F
Best regards,
Dave

Identify uniform from Boer War 1 year 1 month ago #89004

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
The attached does not answer your questions but may be of interest to you.

It is a page from the 1911 Canadian Census for Halifax City, N.S. Halfway down you find the Murphy family consisting of Edward born ? 1880 & Ellen born Sept 1880 and four children: Mary b May1903, twins Winifred & Edward b March 1907 & Annie b March 1911. It says they all of the Irish "tribe" but now Canadian citizens and all of the Roman Catholic faith. Edward senior was working at the Gas Works as a labourer.

Seems a good fit with info you have supplied.

It downloaded from Ancestry as a jpeg too large to attach to this so I have imported it into a Word Document. This has made it even more difficult to read than it originally was. If you send me a private message with an email address I can email you the original jpeg.

David.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds