• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War Bugle 1 year 3 months ago #87808

• jtreeve74
  • jtreeve74's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have stumbled across a bugle stamped on the bell with; Boer War Colonial Forces 1899-1901. It also has a brass badge soldered onto it which belonged to the Australasian C Squadron of the 4th County of London (King's Colonials) Imperial Yeomanry.
I was wondering if there might be any further information about this Australasian squadron and whether this bugle might be authentic.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War Bugle 1 year 3 months ago #87810

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
jtreeve74
I really can't comment about the bugle marked as you describe. Over the years a number of posts have been put up about attributed bugles - but none as I recall like yours.
The badge, however, is easier to ID. As the Guerrilla phrase of the Boer War dragged on, the UK home defence was stripped of troops to provide reinforcements, etc. For purposes of Home Defence, the 4th County of London (Kings Colonials) I.Y. was formed was formed; each of its four squadrons made up of men from various of the far-flung regions of the Empire. Those from Aust or NZ were put into the Australasian Sqn (which must have upset the KIWIs somewhat!) and I also recall seeing a similar badge from the same unit featuring an elephant as a motif and representing a British Asian Squadron.
Best regards to all Forum contributors for 2023.
IL.

Boer War Bugle 1 year 3 months ago #87811

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello jtreeve74
Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask if your bugle has any other stamps or makers mark ? If yes, could you post an image?

I would expect to see the Queens broad arrow stamped on the bugle and possibly a date of manufacture.

Dave..........

PS....Having looked at your image, if that soldered C Squadron badge is at the front of the bugle? It is possible that the original stamping has been covered over. Let me know if there are any other markings, cheers. D
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Boer War Bugle 5 months 2 weeks ago #92746

• penstc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the bugle that belonged to Sergeant Trumpeter T. Dickson, Ceylon Mounted Infantry. Also stamped Army and Navy.C.S.L, 105 Victoria Street, London, S.W.
I would like to either return it to any surviving family or to whosoever keeps such things for this site.
Any help would be gratefully welcomed.
Contact via [email protected]

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds