TOPIC:

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87641

• milcollectorblue
  • milcollectorblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Morning,

I recently acquired a large collection of almost exclusively CEF collar badges. Hidden away in that consignment was a 'mystery' shoulder title. Unfortunately, it appears as if the image sizes I have for both the obverse and reverse of the shoulder title exceeds the size limits allowed on this site. However, the photos can be seen on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (B&CMBF) under the South Africa section of that site. It looks like the shoulder title in question has been produced 'in the field'. Of particular note are the solid triangular shaped 'lugs'. It would appear that the shoulder title was then attached to the uniform by making an incision in a rubber or leather washer, which was then pushed onto the 'lug' to hold it in place. (Supposition again I'm afraid!)

Anyway, I have been led to believe this may be a South African Artillery shoulder title with the 'D' shown below the 'M.R.A.' supposedly representing 'D Battery'. It has also been suggested this shoulder title may have been produced and worn during the Boer War period, hence my bringing it to the attention of contributors to this site. Notwithstanding that supposition, does anyone have any knowledge of such a shoulder title being used, possibly by any S. African unit and, if so, which unit and when would it have been worn? (As an aside, I have had no luck establishing what this shoulder title represents on either the B&CMBF or the Great War Forum, so posting on here is probably my last chance of trying to establish its' credentials).

This is definitely not my area of interest, although I am intrigued to establish whether it has any 'kosher' military connection.

Many thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.

Kind Regards,

Lovat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87644

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Lovat

The badge is Boer War and stands for the Maritzburg Rifle Association "D" Company

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: milcollectorblue

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87657

• milcollectorblue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello 'ResearchRescue',

Thank you for taking the time to establish what unit this previously unknown shoulder title belongs to. Since establishing the name of the unit I have tried to look into the MRA's history, in particular where 'D Company' was based in Natal. Was it actually in P'maritzburg or one of the towns just outside the capital city? Also, I have been unable to establish whether the MRA engaged in any of the Boer War battles and, if so, where and when? Is this the sort of information you, or perhaps others, may have to hand?

Finally, is there much of a call from collectors of Boer War badges for such a shoulder title and if so how could I establish its' worth to a collector? (I'll understand if you are unable or reluctant to answer this question).

Kind Regards,

Lovat

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87669

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
A list of Natal Rifle Associations from the Boer War is here
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/natal-ras
I note Maritzburg does not feature.
I am puzzled by the lugs, which are solid and hence not able to be secured - is this sand-cast badge unfinished?
For the benefit of this forum I attach the photos which milcollectorblue posted on the British badge forum.
Rob

The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: milcollectorblue

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87671

• milcollectorblue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting a photo of the shoulder title - much appreciated, and it saves others having to find their way to the B&CMBF. As for the shoulder title itself it is definitely 'rough & ready'; hence the reason I suggested it was 'made in the field'. It has all the hallmarks of being sandcast. As for the lugs, my opinion is that they were unfinished, and by that I mean they hadn't had any holes drilled through the solid pieces of brass to allow a pin or some other retaining device to be attached.

With regard to the name of the unit (Maritzburg), could it not be one of the companies of the following unit (see link below)? If so, and there was only a total of 107 men in the Maritzburg Rifles, I find it difficult to understand how this shoulder title might represent 'D Company', unless of course the other regiments mentioned in the link below formed 'A to C Companies'. Is this a possibility?

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/21...termaritzburg-rifles

Anyway, it seems that this unit did not engage with the Zulus but they were responsible for the building of an enormous laager around the city.

Regards,

Lovat

Unknown Brass 'M.R.A./D' Shoulder Title 1 year 3 months ago #87672

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Lovat

See the link below with regard to Maritzburg Rifle Association/HomeGuard for the Boer War - click through all the pages for photos and illustrations

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/6-places/282-...ermaritzburg?start=0

They saw zero action-unless individual members joined other Colonial Units later on to go fight up country.

Best to contact Andrew Dinnes for a value as he has dealt with these badges in the past www.southafricanmilitaria.com/

Regards

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds