Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79102

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Noted in the pic " ...in charge of the magazine master ..." lying on the ground to the left is a .45" Westley Richards Martini rifle and to the right is an 8mm Guedes.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79132

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
I'm enjoying my lesson of all things about Artillery and Ammunition, this is one area that I have never delved into and appreciating the crash-course. From what I have read so far, looks like I have a long way to go. Here is an image of a collection from Ladysmith.

Unfortunately I had no luck in cleaning up the image, in the hope of being able to make the placard readable.

I've also have an interest in trench art, war trophies, etc. and I thought that the members here might appreciate the following image from Hannam's Auctioneers in the UK. The description attached says - A very rare 19th Century Boer War shell case trench art clock with bold enamel dial and bronze mounts. 37 cm high.
Trev

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79134

• Neville_C
  • Neville_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1991
Amazing to see one of the 155 mm Creusot “Long Tom” clocks intact. I have one, but without the clock .. ! (see below)
Another complete example is held in the Royal Collection and can be seen on display at Sandringham House.

I suspect the clock sold through Hannam’s is one of the examples made in Mafeking by J Gerrans (see my earlier post about Krupp 60 mm mountain gun shells).

Here is a clearer image of the Ladysmith shells.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79149

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Thanks Neville for posting a clearer image of the Ladysmith photo.

I read with interest the few stories already included about souvenir hunters in the collection of shells and shell cases. I thought that it might be important reminder to also include a few stories of collecting and/or handling unexploded ordnance, relevant to the Boer War and to know what happens when things go horribly wrong -

(Sunday Times, Sydney NSW, Sunday 16 Dec, 1906)

(Tweed Daily, Murwillumbah NSW, Wednesday 23 June, 1937)

(The Sun-Herald, Sydney NSW, Sunday 12 Aug, 1954)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79151

• Neville_C
Below are two photographs of trophies picked up in and around Mafeking.

The first depicts, amongst others, a group of three 75 mm Krupp QF shrapnel and four 60 mm Krupp mountain gun projectiles (see close-up). The man in the centre is probably J. GERRANS.

The second shows four 155 mm Creusot shrapnel shell bases, each set with various denominations of Kruger coin (florins and sixpences), and engraved "BASE OF 100 POUND SHELL FIRED ON MAFEKING BY TRANSVAAL BOERS ON [NOV.6.1899]". The dates for the four souvenirs are October 27th 1899 (x2), November 4th 1899 and November 6th 1899.
Also included in the photograph are a 7-pdr RML studded shell (left) and a 75 mm Krupp QF shrapnel shell (right), and in the bottom right-hand corner can be seen the base of a 75 mm Krupp QF segment shell.
These are the work of J. GERRANS.

Attachments:

Artillery and Ammunition 2 years 6 months ago #79155

• Neville_C
Base of the "Long Tom" shrapnel shell that killed Dr Stark, set into the pavement outside the Royal Hotel Ladysmith.

Photographed during my visit in 1978.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 7.275 seconds