TOPIC:

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77580

• JP89
  • JP89's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I hope you are well! I recently came across a photograph from a family member of what I suspect to be my great-great grandfather, William Albert Jelley (which would be the first time we've seen a photo of him). He served in the Rifle Brigade (I've put a post up elsewhere about him and me seeking his medals) from 1892-1913 and saw action in South Africa and Sudan.

I am sure that the photograph is not of any of my other relatives, whose faces I know for sure and most of them were in the Royal Artillery in some form. William's granddaughter, now in her 80s, remembers seeing a photo of 'a soldier in a bush hat' when she was a child, when she was with her grandmother. I wonder if this was the one?

Given the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I'm hoping somebody here will be able to confirm that the uniform is indeed of someone in the Rifle Brigade. Thoughts and speculations are also welcome.

The location is not known but from what I've seen of battlefield tour videos and other photographs, it looks as if it was taken in South Africa. What do you reckon? On the back of the original, it says: 'Me / I in best parade dress'

I attach the original and a colourised version.

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Joe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77581

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Joe.......

Not an expert on uniforms but I hate to say that this looks like a WW2 or just pre WW2 uniform..... The style of Belt (Web), Shirt and Boots look WW2 to me..... Now I may be wrong so hopefully some other help will reply to your quest for info.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: JP89

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77582

• JP89
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Mike, you may well be right there. Maybe someone who knows will put me out of my proverbial misery!

I've seen the khaki dress of the late Victorian era and thought it was similar to the photo, which is what makes me believe it was this era.

Now that you mention it, it could be a more "recent" relative, someone who saw service in the 50s...

I don't know whether it's significant but the original photo was only the size of a business card or so. It's also possible that the colourisation has skewed our views (it may not be 100% accurate).

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77585

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Joe.......

Not an expert on uniforms but I hate to say that this looks like a WW2 or just pre WW2 uniform..... The style of Belt (Web), Shirt and Boots look WW2 to me..... Now I may be wrong so hopefully some other help will reply to your quest for info.....

Mike

I agree with Mike, WWII era.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77588

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Joe
Mike is correct in his opinion. The anklets and webbing belt shown in your pic are part of the Pattern 1937 Web Equipment; the marching order of which IL became very familiar with as late as 1965.
Regards
IL.

Help Identifying a Uniform 2 years 8 months ago #77594

• JP89
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks everyone, I agree with you all.

It has since come to light (other relatives of mine I shared it with have since confirmed it) that the photo is of my great-uncle, during his time at Mombasa in the 50s. It was very much me being hopeful that it was something earlier and I probably should have been more suspicious about the age and era of the photograph to begin with... but at least now I know! I do feel a bit silly about asking here, given the time difference in what I'd hoped vs reality but there we go. I'm not usually this dim, honest!

If anyone comes back to read this thread, there's no need to reply further. Thanks!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds