Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anglo Boer War Cavalrymans pocket knife with an array of tools. 2 years 10 months ago #76295

• Gardengnome
  • Gardengnome's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Saw an old forum post from severals years ago about an identical knife. So thought I'd post pictures of mine and ask if there would be any takers from officianados / collectors of this time period. I have no history for the knife except that it came from a family with a longstanding equestrian background.
The picture is an engraved version but otherwise identical knife from the internet. I'm using the picture because my own photos are too large for this site. If anyone is interested drop me an email and I can send you pics of the actual knife in question.

Cheers,
Gardengnome.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anglo Boer War Cavalrymans pocket knife with an array of tools. 2 years 10 months ago #76301

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The knife in the picture, not the one possessed by Gardengnome, belonged to 14109 Sgt M Milner-Brown of the 47th Company, 13th Imperial Yeomanry.
Dr David Biggins

Anglo Boer War Cavalrymans pocket knife with an array of tools. 2 years 10 months ago #76313

• Gardengnome
  • Gardengnome's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes that's right. It was recently sold at auction for something near £800.
Let me clarify once again that the picture is of a knife identical to one that I have myself and the image was borrowed simply because the photos I currently have of my knife were too big to be posted on this site. I will try to take lower megabyte pics and post them. But in the meantime If there are any collectors interested in owning such a piece of history contact me here and I can email you pics of the genuine item.
Here for the record is the history of my own knife - limited though it is:
I have a contact in the house clearance business and regularly visit his skip looking mostly for old tools, - it's shocking what these guys throw out! In between lockdown 1 and lockdown 2 this year, my man did a clearance on a private property with large garage and stables. A real boon for me as I got my hands on lots of tools as well as handy nuts and bolts for a motorbike renovation I'm undertaking. There was a lot of horse tack present and while fishing through the gubbins I came across the knife in the bottom of an old toolbox. My initial thought due to the number of tools on the knife was that it was some kind of multitool pocket knife from the 1950's. Recognising that some of the tools were for horse care and interested in discovering the purpose of some of the weird and wonderful attachments, I googled searched 'horsemans knife' under images and came across the very same pic that I have posted here. I was amazed to discover what a historical treasure I had on my hands as you might guess. As an expat kiwi I grew up learning a lot about the Boer War as it was an important part of New Zealands' own military history. I recommend the movie 'Breaker Morant' to all of you interested in the Boer War or else the true memoirs 'Scapegoats of the Empire' upon which the movie was based. Anyway, having saved this knife from the trash, I would love to see this knife go to someone who would appreciate it.
Cheers,
Gardengnome

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds